13 Replies Latest reply on Jul 18, 2011 8:38 AM by TSGal

Lose Wifi Connection While on Battery (STILL)

alc

Title

Lose Wifi Connection While on Battery (STILL)

Rather than reiterating the entire thread which can be found at:

Lost (Wi-fi) Connection when Running off Battery

Based on others' input I though the issue would be/was resolved by 1.2.2 update.

Unfortunately for me the update didn't remove the problem.

Should it matter,  I'm using an  iPad 2 - Verizon 64GB model.

To be safe I purposely uninstalled, then reinstalled FMGo.

Is anyone aware of any specific tricks to avoid, or situations that may cause this to happen

xandra

---- THE ORIGINAL POST---------

Title:
      Lost (Wi-fi) Connection when Running off Battery
      Everything works fine when connecting to my desktop database and I'm plugged in with electricity (assuming I'm using the 'fmrestoreautologin' priveleg.)

However, after a few minutes of non-use  (after the iPads' gone to sleep) I unlock the iPad, and get the following message

"Communication with the Host is interrupted. Do you want to try to reconnect?"

I click yes, then get:

"The file "Filename" could not be opened Either the host is unavailable, or the file is not." 

(OF COURSE NEITHER CONDITION IS TRUE ) The file IS open on My Mac 20' feet away on the same Wi-fi network.

Is there anyway to stop this behaviour?  IS THIS a Bug?  Whatever, it's certainly annoying.

Should it Matter, my Computer is set to NOT sleep (except display), I have hard drive sleep set to never,  and to wake on LAN. Again, I do NOT get this behavior when the device (an iPad) is connected electrically.

I have not tested this with 3G.

xandra

• 1. Re: Lose Wifi Connection While on Battery (STILL)
          TSGal

xandra:

Thank you for your post.

The 1.2.2 update does fix the problem of timing out after 30 minutes when running off the battery.  However, your issue is a bit different because you are letting the iPad go to sleep/  As part of the sleep process, the network connection is shut down.  When you later wake your device, FileMaker Go then needs time to re-establish the network connection.  If you press "Yes" to reconfirming the connection, and the iPad hasn't had time (approximately 5 seconds) to re-establish the network, you may not be able to resume your database session.

You can also see this same behavior on Laptops with FileMaker Pro and with VPN connections.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Lose Wifi Connection While on Battery (STILL)
            alc

Hi TS...

Thanks for quick reply.

I'm curious why I don't see same message when reconnecting via other apps, can I assume they are simply reconnecting without bringing the disconnect to my attention?

If so, is there ANYWAY to get FMGo to do the same? (Other than adjusting/or turning off sleep)

ALTERNATELY

You wrote: "If you press "Yes" to reconfirming the connection, and the iPad hasn't had time (approximately 5 seconds) to re-establish the network,
            "
            Does that mean that if I wait 5 seconds (after waking up/unlocking the iPad), that it will connect on its own?

Sorry to make such a big deal about this, but it's really bothersome when I'm using my exercise tracking DB (since every second spent messing with electronics lowers my heart rate.)

So I'd really like to know how make this less disruptive.

still jogging in place - xandra.

• 3. Re: Lose Wifi Connection While on Battery (STILL)
              tcmeyers

xandra,

I get around this problem by running a streaming audio app with iPhone or iPad. The one I use (though others may work) is StreamItAll. By connecting to an Internet "radio station" (and waiting for the connection to fully establish and buffer, so that you are hearing sound) and then going to FMGo, even when the iPhone/iPad sleeps itself or you lock it, because the StreamItAll is maintaining the connection, FileMaker doesn't lose touch. Unlocking brings FM up right where you left off, no need to reopen the hosted files.

As an aside, remarkably, I use a bluetooth laser scanner with this, and just using the scanner wakes the iPhone (no need to punch-then-slide) and even puts the scanned data in the FileMaker field, assuming the cursor was there when the iPhone went to sleep.

-Troy

• 4. Re: Lose Wifi Connection While on Battery (STILL)
                alc

Troy - thanks very much  for the great idea. I'm going to try to find similar solution - that hopefully won't use as much juice as streaming.

I'm thinking I might even try FMPs OnTimer script.

• 5. Re: Lose Wifi Connection While on Battery (STILL)
                  tcmeyers

xandra,

Please do post your results. It's true that streaming audio, even with the volume down, reduces the battery life. I hadn't thought to try OnTimer, might work.

-Troy

• 6. Re: Lose Wifi Connection While on Battery (STILL)
                    alc

Sorry Troy -- this was a no go. Got disconnected as usual.

• 7. Re: Lose Wifi Connection While on Battery (STILL)
                      tcmeyers

xandra,

Just to be clear, it was trying an OnTimer script that didn't keep it connected?

-Troy

• 8. Re: Lose Wifi Connection While on Battery (STILL)
                        alc

Just to be clear, it was trying an OnTimer script that didn't keep it connected?

YES, thats, correct, I attached an OnTimer to a Layout (and included a check so that it only ran on mobile devices). to make sure it was running, I had it beep AND check/uncheck an unimportant field.

Bear in mind - this is while I'm accessing a DB that's being served by my Computer via wireless.

As I said, this little experiment didn't work, as usual, iPad went to sleep and I had to reconnect.  I'm curious why the activity didn't keep the iPad from sleeping. Perhaps is set to sleep unless there's physical touch...

xandra

• 9. Re: Lose Wifi Connection While on Battery (STILL)
                          tcmeyers

It does seem that 'touch' is needed. I don't know if it's a problem with the current version of Go but I had a lengthy script (a deep sort and deletions) that would be interrupted during the process by sleeping, leaving the database in a process-not-finished state, and reawakening reopened everything but did not start the script where it left off. Needless to say I stopped using that script, so I don't know if that's still a problem.

I do wish that there was a 'setting' for keeping FMGo from allowing sleep. I know this is possible, I have other apps that offer that. Also, if there was that feature available, rather than sleeping, dim the display (to indicate reduced power, and a need to touch once to get the app's attention) to save power after a while, but still maintain communication. I've seen display dimming in other apps too.

My situation is FMGo accessing hosted databases (normally by WiFi, but sometimes 3G) provided by a machine running FileMaker Server, and occasionally (during development) hosted by a desktop running FMPro Advanced.

-Troy

• 10. Re: Lose Wifi Connection While on Battery (STILL)
                            alc

Troy wrote:

I do wish that there was a 'setting' for keeping FMGo from allowing  sleep. I know this is possible, I have other apps that offer that. Also,  if there was that feature available, rather than sleeping, dim the  display (to indicate reduced power, and a need to touch once to get the  app's attention) to save power after a while, but still maintain  communication. I've seen display dimming in other apps too.

Troy - would you contact Maker Feedback (thru the tab here or the Help menu in FMP Pro) mentioning the Apps that have these features since that might help them...

-xandra

• 11. Re: Lose Wifi Connection While on Battery (STILL)
                              TSGal

Troy Meyers and xandra:

I've been watching your exchange closely, hoping more ideas emerge (which they have).  I encourage you both to enter this suggestion into our Feature Requests web form at:

http://www.filemaker.com/company/contact/feature_request.html

This web form is hosted and monitored by Product Management and Development, and all submissions into this web form are discussed and considered for possible future implementation.  Although I could easily copy your posts and paste them into the web form, there are a couple of questions asked that only you can answer.  Be sure to explain why this feature is needed as it will give them a better understanding how our customers use FileMaker Go.

TSGal
                              FileMaker, Inc.

• 12. Re: Lose Wifi Connection While on Battery (STILL)
                                alc

Thanks TSGal

-- will do (I always forget where feature_request URL is)

Another [obvious] request -- would be to include feature request link to this in FMP Help Menu.

PS: Troy- Please do the same: there's power in numbers, you'll have additional reasons for importance, and you're more aware of other apps that handle situation more elegantly,

• 13. Re: Lose Wifi Connection While on Battery (STILL)
                                  TSGal

xandra:

If you are using FileMaker Pro 11, there is a selection under the Help menu entitled "Provide FileMaker Feedback" which takes you directly to the "Feature Requests" web form.

TSGal
                                  FileMaker, Inc.