3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 22, 2012 7:01 AM by MattCory

Making excel files to share via email

LizBall

Title

Making excel files to share via email

Hello,

I've been using FileMaker pro on my desktop for some time now. I recently got an ipad2 and downloaded the app so i have my databases on my iPad as well. I can't seem to figure out how to take selected records in the "list" format and email all of those records as if they were in an excel file. I can only get it to send the first row. But, I have 238 other rows that I want to include. 

If someone smarter than I could help me, I would surely appreciate it.

Thanks!!!

• 1. Re: Making excel files to share via email
          TSGal

Liz Ball:

Thank you for your post.

When you go to Print and Print Setup, make sure you change the Record Range from Current Record to Found Set.  This will then include all records in the output rather than just 1 record (the current record).

Let me know if you need additional clarification.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Making excel files to share via email

I don't think the above answer really answered question:  that method will allow a print or send of an acutal page or pdf, but not excel.

I've gotten around Go's inability to export as an excel file by making a single line field that combines all items of a record into one csv style line, then script upon demand the combination of each record's single line into a global container field that combines all the single lines which can then be exported.

It's cumbersome for a large found set, however.  I'm currently trying to wrap my head around a better method.

• 3. Re: Making excel files to share via email
              MattCory

Hi Liz & Wesley,

I've got the same need you do, and I'm surprised that Go won't export to XLS and email it. Wesley, I've managed to duplicate the first two steps of your work-around, but I can't figure out how you then export this global field so as to open it in Excel as a CSV. Can you explain, or have you by now come up with a better method?

Thanks!

Matt