1 2 Previous Next 18 Replies Latest reply on Oct 5, 2010 10:35 AM by DennyHayes

More % More Doesn't Really Work

DennyHayes

Title

More % More Doesn't Really Work

I love the ability to actually run databases remotely on my iPhone, but the more I play with this, the more that I find doesn't work, or something different must be done. My latest is that I have a FM file hosted on a remote server. I have a script that launches when opening the file. We have branch managers around the US that access the database, and each uses a login name and password, which pulls up their records, and only allows them access to their own records. This setup works fine when the clients are Macs or PCs, but does not work when I try to access using the iPhone. When I put in my own info it allows me access, but does not go to the layout that this opening script dictates. I used the script step If [ Get ( SystemPlatform ) = 3 or Get ( SystemPlatform ) = 4, but all steps are ignored. When I try to access using a branch managers login/password, it tells me that the person has no access. 

There are two possibilities that I see here. Either the launch script is ignored by the iPhone, or I must do something different to deal with the iPhone. It is starting to look like it will be a long learning curve to get use to this thing. After 20 years of using FM, I feel like I am back in the dark again :)

• 1. Re: More % More Doesn't Really Work
          TSGal

DennyHayes:

Thank you for your post.

Get ( SystemPlatform ) will return "3" on the iPad/iPhone/iPod touch.  You may want to insert a Set Field step using Get (SystemPlatform) to confirm.

What script steps are being ignored?  Providing the relevant script steps would make it easier for me to help you.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: More % More Doesn't Really Work
            DennyHayes

Well, below is the Launch script, and when I enter the master access, which is AAAA or BBBB It allows me to log in, but seems to go to a random layout, instead of layout “iPhone List Review”. I appears to be what ever layout I was on when I closed the app, though not always. It apparently is not recognizing the platform, on neither my iPhone 3GS nor my wife's 4G iPhone. But the launch script works fine on any real computer from many locations around the US. I have only shown 3 of the branch managers logins, though there are actually approx 40 of them which all work, so that the branch managers only see their own records, because the menu selections are shut off, and the find scripts auto enter their user name, which must be included in any search.

If I try entering any branch managers login/password on an iPhone, it tells me that they have no access, though they do on their Macs and PCs.

#---- Select Proper System Layout ---------------------------------

If [ Get ( SystemPlatform ) 3 and Get ( SystemPlatform ) 4 ] 

Go to Layout [ “Window Sizer” (Preliminary Quotes) ] 

Adjust Window [ Resize to Fit ] 

Go to Layout [ “List Review” (Preliminary Quotes) ] 

End If 

If [ Get ( SystemPlatform ) = 3 or Get ( SystemPlatform ) = 4 ] 

Go to Layout [ “iPhone List Review” (Preliminary Quotes) ] 

End If 

#---- Store Active User ---------------------------------

Set Field [ Preliminary Quotes::Active User; Proper ( Get ( AccountName ) ) ] 

#---- Set Respective User Parameters & Find Their Records -----------

If [ Preliminary Quotes::Active User "AAAA"  and 

Preliminary Quotes::Active User "BBBB" ] 

Show/Hide Text Ruler    [ Hide ] 

Allow Toolbars [ Off ] 

Show/Hide Status Area [ Lock; Hide ] 

Enter Find Mode [  ] 

If [ Preliminary Quotes::Active User = "CCCC" or 

Preliminary Quotes::Active User = "DDDD" or 

Preliminary Quotes::Active User = "EEEE" ] 

Set Field [ Preliminary Quotes::Branch Manager; Preliminary Quotes::Active User ] 

Else 

Set Field [ Preliminary Quotes::Salesperson; Preliminary Quotes::Active User ] 

End If 

Set Error Capture [ On ] 

Perform Find [  ] 

Else 

Perform Script [ “Unlock Status Bar” ] 

End If 

Go to Record/Request/Page [ Last ] 

• 3. Re: More % More Doesn't Really Work
              TSGal

DennyHayes:

Thank you for the script.

I am unable to replicate the problem.  I made a simple script that checks for FileMaker Go, and if so, switch to a specific script.  Specifically, 

If [ Get ( SystemPlatform ) > 2 ]
                 Go to Layout [ "Layout #2" ]
              Else
                 Go to Layout [ "Layout #3" ]
              End If

In essence, it checks for FileMaker Go, and then switches to Layout #2.  Otherwise, Mac/Windows switches to Layout #3.  This works as expected.

If you put a "Halt Script " step just before the commented section "Store Active User", do you get to the correct layout?

Please keep me updated.

TSGal
              FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: More % More Doesn't Really Work
                DennyHayes

Nope, tried that too. I just went to another layout on the iPhone, and closed the file. I then put a halt command just before the Store Active User comment. Then when I relaunched the file on the iPhone it went to the layout that was active when I closed it rather than where it was supposed to go. Yesterday I was playing with a test script that simply the following, and still it usually went to the wrong place. I just tried that again, switching the file options to use that new script, and it simply goes to what ever layout I was one when I closed the file. But the fact that it worked for you, makes me a little confused as to why? I was thinking that it might be due to me not totally closing the app in the iPhone, so I did the double click on the home button so that I completely closed the app. But it did the same thing. So then I started thinking maybe there was some thing going on because I logged back in too soon, but not knowing any time limit, that could be any time

If [ Get ( SystemPlatform ) = 3 or Get ( SystemPlatform ) = 4 ] 

Go to Layout [ “iPhone List Review” (Preliminary Quotes) ] 

End If 

• 5. Re: More % More Doesn't Really Work
                  TSGal

DennyHayes:

Perhaps there is something in the host file that FileMaker Go doesn't like.  Try creating a new file with a few layouts.  Use the script above to see if it works for you.

If you want to send in a copy of your file so I can try it here, I have left instructions in your Inbox at the top of this page.

TSGal
                  FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: More % More Doesn't Really Work
                    DennyHayes

Just learned something new. It now works fine on my wife's 4G, but not on my 3GS. On my 3GS it not only doesn't go to the right layout, it also ignores the step that has it go to the last record.

• 7. Re: More % More Doesn't Really Work
                      DennyHayes

Another revelation. I just installed FM Go on my son's iPod and it works fine on that too. So it must have something to do with the 3GS iPhones or maybe just mine. I will try to get someone else using the same phone as mine to access the file. BTW, the file is hosted on MasUSA.net, and if I can't figure out what is going on, I might end up sending it to you, after deleting a couple million dollars worth of business records, and any other critical info :).

• 8. Re: More % More Doesn't Really Work
                        TSGal

DennyHayes:

I just tested the sample script on a iPhone 3GS that belongs to a Support Technician, and it works properly.  Therefore, I'd like to try a couple of more tests.  First, reboot your iPhone to clear out any possible memory conflicts.  Then, in case FileMaker Go was damaged, remove FileMaker Go from the iPhone, connect the iPhone to iTunes and move over a fresh copy.

Please continue to keep me updated.

TSGal
                        FileMaker, Inc.

• 9. Re: More % More Doesn't Really Work
                          DennyHayes

Okay, I have narrowed the problem. It has something to do with the 3GS, because I just had a friend try to access it with his 3GS, and he had the same problem. I guess I can't fix it from this end, so I guess I am just dead in the water as far as having my salespeople around the US access the db from their iPhones, until Filemaker fixes the problem. To much risk of my people being able to see each other's quotes and orders. Most have the 3G or the 3GS, and are not interested in updating until Apple fixes the connection problem or they can hack the phone to work on Verizon. I am also waiting for an iPhone update before I sign a new contract. That plastic case they send you for the 4G is kind of a joke, because it does very little. It does keep your finger from shorting the antenna to ground when you hold your finger on the black plastic strip that separates the two, but your hand is still blocking the antenna, and if you are right handed the signal still drops way down. At least it doesn't go to no bars as it does when you short the two together. Apple says they are not going to come out with an update, but unless they are insane, that is just propaganda so that people like us don't hold off buying the one out now. And I have never thought of Apple as insane :)

• 10. Re: More % More Doesn't Really Work
                            philmodjunk

Perhaps you should set up a simple script that creates a new record in a utility table and stores the results of Get ( SystemPlatform ) and Get ( AccountName ) each time the file is opened.

You could then log on an off a few times before selecting a layout where you can see this table. In order for your script to fail, one or both of these functions would have to return an unexpected value and it might help the tech folks to know which function is failing.

• 11. Re: More % More Doesn't Really Work
                              DennyHayes

Okay, I finally figured out what was going on, and it had nothing to do with the Get ( SystemPlatform ) script step. Remember when I mentioned that it was not consistent. Well, when you click the home button to close the app. with the newest OS it does not really close the app. But you can double click the home button and then press and hold the app, and then you can close anything that is left open in memory. But you are not really closing the app on the server, and the server remembers that you left things open. Then when you reconnect, it asks you if you want to go back to where you were. If you click yes, it again asks for you login/password, which makes you assume that you are really out of the file. But what happens is that any launch script is not activated. I am not sure if this is a real problem yet, as long as it stays truly where you were when you leave. But if someone can come back and have a different found set, they could be looking at someone else's orders, which is not good. Why it happens more on the 3GS than the 4G I have no idea, except that it is a faster iPhone. But I was finally able to have it mess up on the 4G as well, though not very often. I was also able to login using the master login/PW showing every record in the file, and then click the home button, followed by closing the app, and then log back in using one of my branch sales person's login/PW and it bypassed the login script and showed me every record as if I had logged in using the master login/PW. In a way that is not good, but since that was on the same iPhone, which shouldn't happen in real life, because they will be using a different iPhone. But in the back of my mind this does not sound like a good situation, and it could possible cause problems. When you close the app on the iPhone it should really disconnect.

• 12. Re: More % More Doesn't Really Work
                                bumper

My experience with FMGo is from one client, we are using FMPro to host on a mac, and two iPhones.

What you are describing about FMGo's behavior is what the product information says is intended to happen. When you leave a db to go answer the phone, etc. the file "hibernates" rather than close. To close it you would need either a log off step or use the iOS close a file routine. The only way to close the app is to double click the Home button and hold down the app icon until a minus sign badge appears and then click on the icon. I have never had any trouble getting the start up script to go to the desired layout, or to present a new found set when initially logging on, but for reasons which I cannot remember, I did put the version platform check for the iPhone first in the open script.

But I have NEVER, EVER on any iPhone had any luck getting the Auto Restore Login to work over the network. We are however using VPN so maybe that is affecting it. We get challenged every time we go back to FMGo. 

• 13. Re: More % More Doesn't Really Work
                                  DennyHayes

I tried that too, but the problem is that the Launch script just doesn't run. Even closing using the minus sign does not make it run, unless you wait for a long time. What happens is that if you log back in, it tells you that you left files open, regardless of how you close the file on the iPhone. When you get the message that you left files open you must click cancel and reselect the file from your file list, to make the Login script run. This happens on the iPhone 3Gs, the 4G, and even the iPod, so it is unrelated to which is being used. If you are not getting that message then you are doing something totally different. Here, I will do it now.

I just closed the file by simply clicking the home button. I wait 5 minutes and click the FM Go icon to again open the app. Now it says that it is opening the files, and says that I can use the slide to cancel, which I don't do. Now it asks for my login/PW. I entered in the login/PW and it went straight to the file. I know that it did not even try to run the Launch script, because I added a first step to the script that simply pops up a message that says "Welcome", and no message popped up.

Now I will totally close the file, by holding the Home button until it shows the apps that are open in memory. Then I press and hold the FM Go icon until the minus sign appears. Then I click the minus sign so that the FM Go icon disappears. Now I totally reopen FM Go. It now says that it is opening the files, and says that I can slide the bar to cancel it, which I don't do. Then it asks for my login/PW, which I enter. And now it is opening the file, without running the Launch script. In fact it is showing every record in the file, which the Launch script is set to not allow. The only way to get the launch script to run is to close the file and wait maybe 15 minutes or slide the cancel bar when it opens to cancel the opening of the file. and then open the file by clicking on the list of linked files.

I don't know what you are doing, but maybe you are not logging to a server, or doing something totally different. My gut feeling is that maybe FM Go can't recognize clicking the home button, so they used some timing method, which can cause problems.

• 14. Re: More % More Doesn't Really Work
                                    TSGal

DennyHayes:

To close a file, tap the window icon in the upper left corner.  Then tap the red "X" icon in the upper left corner of the file you want to close.  This closes the file.  If you only have one file open and close it, then this will take you back to the FileMaker Go Home screen where you can then open a file.  Simply pressing the Home button will not close a file(s).  This applies for files on the device or being accessed as a guest.

For more information on opening and closing files, go to the FileMaker Go Home screen, tap the "?" icon in the upper left corner, and select the topic "Opening Multiple Windows".

TSGal
                                    FileMaker, Inc.

1 2 Previous Next