4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 15, 2013 10:15 AM by schamblee

More Network Problems with Filemaker Go

jweissman

Title

More Network Problems with Filemaker Go

I have been using an FM database on FM Go for over a year and it communicates with the outside world by sending PDF files.

I need to change to a multi-user environment where there is some exchage of records between multiple filemaker go users. The process is relatively simple but I cannot seem to get anything to work relating to uploading records to FMPA. I can access databases on my laptop from the iPad just fine but rather simple scripts that try to access any content on the iPad from the laptop do not work. For instance with a laptop and ipad on the same wireless network, and with the ip address of the ipad at 192.168.1.110, fnmet:/192.168.1.110/DDD.fmp12 does not access the database. Nor does leaving off the fmp12 change this.

Rather frustrating.

It would be nice to have some sample code to at least get a basic working system.

• 1. Re: More Network Problems with Filemaker Go
          schamblee

FileMaker Go doesn't host files and a iPad isn't fast enough to run as a server.  You can transfer file from your ipad to your computer using iTunes, Dropbox, SugarSync and other cloud services.  SeedCode and 360works offer sync options.

• 2. Re: More Network Problems with Filemaker Go
            jweissman

Thanks for your response.

First of all, I don't need a fast server. I just need t return perhaps 10 K of actual data to the host. And, the processing power within an iPad is not minimal by historical standards.

The filemaker network links that are said to work for FMGo and FMPA seem to be unidirectional. I can run hosted databases on my desktop without problem. There seems either to be an intentional lockdown of the reverse direction or some port problem and the FM documentation is a little slim in this regard. It would be nice to have an actual comprehensive document rather than a collection of superficial documents on the website.

I've tried Dropbox and the like.  These are also unidirectional. I can download into filemaker Go but can't send anything in reverse. Please let me know if you have actually tried this.

The FMP protocol scripts may be a solution. I may be able to transfer 90% of the data that I need to send using a collection of scripts, copy and paste functions. But it is a primitive work-around.

Joe

• 3. Re: More Network Problems with Filemaker Go
              TSGal

Joseph Weissman:

Thank you for your posts.

For a good explanation, start by reading Chapter 2 of the FileMaker Go Development Guide "Differences between FileMaker Go and FileMaker Pro":

http://www.filemaker.com/support/product/docs/12/filemaker-go/fmgo_development.pdf

You may also want to read the FileMaker Go Technical Brief at:

http://www.filemaker.com/products/filemaker-go/docs/techbrief_filemaker_go_121_en.pdf

Let me know if you need additional clarification.

TSGal
                   FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: More Network Problems with Filemaker Go
                schamblee

The only way I found to transfer files from the apple device to a computer is with iTunes.  The cloud services will allow you to transfer files from your computer / cloud to the device.   There really is no difference in hosting a 10k file or 10mb file, as far as the software required.  I would guess filemaker didn't see much reason to add hosting to Go, when an  iPad is really too slow compared to a computer hosting a database with several users.  Apple like people using iTunes, it gives them a chance to sell you more products.   Filemaker is owned by Apple.   Maybe one of the cloud services will add this feature one day.  Go is limited compared to the full version of Filemaker.

You can always make a feature request at

http://www.filemaker.com/company/contact/feature_request.html