3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 6, 2013 1:16 PM by dmorgan

moving file references to containers for fmp go access

dmorgan

Title

moving file references to containers for fmp go access

Hello,

I've got a database hosted on fmp server 12 that stores references to several pdf files. Also have 10 users with ipads and fmp go who need to see the pdf's. 

How can I easily copy the pdf's into a container that go can see?

I know the pdf's will be in storage on the fm server can you still do open storage?

Anything else I need to be aware of when trying to set this up?

• 1. Re: moving file references to containers for fmp go access
          TSGal

Denham Morgan:

Thank you for your post.

If all you have are referenced PDF's in the Container field, then you can quickly embed all PDF files by pulling down the File menu and selecting Save a Copy As.  Choose "self-contained copy (single file)", and the PDF files will then be embedded into the Container field.  This is also explained on page 7 of the FileMaker Go Development Guide at:

http://www.filemaker.com/support/product/docs/12/filemaker-go/fmgo_development.pdf

Let me know if you need additional clarification.

TSGal
               FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: moving file references to containers for fmp go access
            dmorgan

Thank you TSGal,

I had looked at that earlier and I didn't think it applied to file references. I just tried to do a self contained copy with my main db and it fialed to move the referenced files and I tried to do a test with the content management starter solution and it won't work with referenced files either. 

I don't know if I'm doing it wrong or what?

I tried to insert some pdf's and images into the starter file to test it and that kinda works. It will embed the picture or pdf or just insert it as a file icon which is what I want it to do. If I do a long press in GO and pick view it gives me an error "The file "?" could not be opened. (Not Found)". But, I can export it to the FIlemaker GO File Browser and then view it. 

Denham Morgan

• 3. Re: moving file references to containers for fmp go access
              dmorgan

I just found out that other pdf apps on the ipad is what caused the error. I don't know if it was acrobat reader or pdf expert, I've removed them for now.

Denham Morgan