3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 26, 2011 5:59 PM by jd2775

Multiple Databases on iPads, updating one central database

jd2775

Title

Multiple Databases on iPads, updating one central database

Hi all,

I recently purchased FM GO for data collection at our jobsite.  The purpose for this is to have multiple iPads available with the Database we use on it, for data collection.  What I vision is the following:

-One central FMP Database on a shared drive

-Multiple copies of database via FM GO on different iPads

-upon syncing to iTunes, a script(?) would update the central database with the new data collected (preferably it would delete all data on the copy-DB version as well for the next usage)

Is this possible?  The way I see it right now is you  import a copy of the database, collect data, then "Save As" back to your desktop or wherever.  From here it seems you have to manually update the central database somehow, then manually delete all the records off the copy manually as well. Seems cumbersome.

Is there a more automated way of doing this?  FYI if it matters we are using FMP9 and 10, FM GO, Windows XP platform

Thanks

Josh

• 1. Re: Multiple Databases on iPads, updating one central database
          TSGal

jd2775:

Thank you for your post.

The ideal solution would be to have every iPad access the main database over the network.  All changes would be made "real time", so you wouldn't have to worry about two people making changes to the same record.

Assuming that is not an option, syncing via iTunes is fine.  You could then run a script that updates the main database file.  The disadvantage is that all iPads would need to run the script before copying the data back to the iPads.  Otherwise, each iPad would have a different version of the database file.

Let me know if you need additional clarification.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Multiple Databases on iPads, updating one central database
            philmodjunk

-One central FMP Database on a shared drive

That's not safe. Database should not be in a shared directory (or drive). It should be hosted from this computer with FileMaker Pro or FileMaker Server. If two users attempt to run your "synch" script at the same time over the network, your database could be corrupted.

• 3. Re: Multiple Databases on iPads, updating one central database
              jd2775

Thank you both for the reply.  Yea, I talked it over with my supervisor and it doesn't seem logical to go about this without getting FileMaker Server, so we are looking into that.  It should make things much smoother all the way around

Thanks again