5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 1, 2013 12:14 PM by NathanVeitch

Multiple portals on one layout in FMGo

NathanVeitch

Title

Multiple portals on one layout in FMGo

Hi there,

I am busy doing up a simple quote system for a client. I have 2 table, quotes and quotelines. On the quote I need to have 3 different types of info captured. So what i did was create a 3 TO's for the lines, QuoteEmp, QuoteStock and QuoteLocation and they are all based off the QuoteLines table which is linked to the Quote table. Now on the Quote layout I have 3 portals, each with the respective TO's as the portal table. There are no scripts running on the portals, except for a Delete Row script. The reason for a script there is to give the user a chance to not delete the row.

I remeber reading somewhere that more than one portal on a layout in go can cause problems, cause a portal acts like a widget in Go. Is that correct?? Or did I misunderstand that post. Unfortunately I can't rememebr where I saw the post, so i can't find it. Am I going to run into problems down the line, or should it work?

• 1. Re: Multiple portals on one layout in FMGo
          TSGal

Nathan Veitch:

Thank you for your post.

Having multiple portals on a layout should be fine.  I do not see any report of your scenario not working.  If you run into an issue, please let me know.

TSGal
               FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Multiple portals on one layout in FMGo
            schamblee

Your screen is limitied compared to a desktop monitor, so that will be a problem with 3 portals, because a user does not have a mouse to select items.  There are some technique on sliding objects on an iPad that I have seen on the internet and this technique does not work with sliding / hiding portals because the portal alway remains in front of the blocks. Here is an website talking about the slide block method.  http://www.infografix.eu/188/

I would use a tab control with a different portal on each tab.  This will make your app more user friendly / and more readable for your users.

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/7748/~/designing-a-layout-optimized-for-filemaker-go

• 3. Re: Multiple portals on one layout in FMGo
              NathanVeitch

Hi There,

Thank-you for the tip. I will let you know how it goes. Just a quick one, would there be any difference between having 3 TO's of a table, one for each portal section, then filter to split the records up accordingly or should I just have the one TO for the table and use that duplicated 3 times for the portal with the same filtering? I have created a TO per section that I need, but I still have to filter it, which is why i was thinking that maybe I only needed the one TO. 

• 4. Re: Multiple portals on one layout in FMGo
                TSGal

Nathan Veitch:

Either method is fine.  However, keep in mind that iOS is slower than either Windows or Mac OS, and there would be less processing cycles with only one portal, and that would include displaying the results of the portals.  Try creating a new layout with the one filtered portal and  compare the new layout to the original layout for performance.

TSGal
                     FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: Multiple portals on one layout in FMGo
                  NathanVeitch

Hi TSGal,

Just to let you know there was no real difference between having the 3 TO's or just having the one. I had to do filtering on all the portals anyway due to the base table being the same. So I have gone with the one TO and so far the program is working fine. I do have to add though, that it is a very small program tht I am running. Only 3 layouts and 3 scripts for the section. Maybe if hte program was a bit more complex there might be other issues, but for my needs of this program, it is running magically :) 

As always thanx for the tips and adivce :)