1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply on Jan 18, 2011 9:24 AM by tcmeyers

Network disconnect FM GO while on battery

chrisgysi

Title

Network disconnect FM GO while on battery

Hi there,

I run my databases from FM Go as client in the network. Everything runs great if the ipod is on the power cord. If not (on battery), the network connection stops after about 15 to 25 minutes. Even if I am working! The message shows up, the network connection is lost and if it should connect again. Which is not possible. Never. The ipods network icon is lost. I HAVE to quit FM GO to get connection back! Then restart my file from the server.

Yes, the ipod is set to never sleep...! AND, it happens even if just FM Go is on its file open window.... No need to have any file open, it just loses network connection. I see it in the top bar.

Well, I started with FM Go about 2 weeks ago on a brand new ipod. Last Friday I upgraded to iOS 4.2.1 AND FM Go 1.1.2. I do not remember these network problems before the upgrade but am not able to downgrade again... ;-(

Thanks for advises or solutions; I really guess this is an issue on FM Go...

Thanks, Chris

• 1. Re: Network disconnect FM GO while on battery
          TSGal

chrisgysi:

Thank you for your post.

After working with a file for 30 minutes on my iPod touch and an iPad, I cannot replicate the problem.

When you connect your iPod touch back into iTunes on your Mac, how much battery life remains?  (Mine is down to just under 50%).

Have you tried connecting under another Wi-Fi network?

Any other information you can provide may be helpful.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Network disconnect FM GO while on battery
            tcmeyers

Chris,

I've been troubled by a different but perhaps related problem. Since upgrading to iOS 4.2.1 my wireless network connection is nearly always dropped when the 'phone sleeps. On unlocking the screen, "3G" is displayed instead of the wireless icon. Of course this plays havoc if trying to reopen hosted files with FMGo. I usually have to go back to the Settings>Wi-Fi panel to reselect the network (which sometimes fails on the first try). Switching Airplane Mode On then Off seems to be quicker, but this often disconnects my bluetooth scanner.

Whatever is going on, it's a big nuisance making it unpleasant and time-consuming to use FMGo.

I don't think FMGo is causing it, I think it's some change or bug in the way iOS 4.2.1 is handling the wireless.

Last night I did a forced reboot of the iPhone and I thought that had cured it, it seemed to 'wake' with the wireless icon in place, or "3G" displaying only very briefly, but today it's back to the bad behavior.

-Troy

• 3. Re: Network disconnect FM GO while on battery
              tcmeyers

Chris,

I've observed this some more today, and it seems that an iPad 3G (also iOS 4.2.1) is much, much less prone to this that the iPhone 3GS. What model iPod are you using?

-Troy

• 4. Re: Network disconnect FM GO while on battery
                tcmeyers

Chris,

I've had an opportunity to do more testing, with the iPhone, regarding being connected to a power source. First, with a full charged iPhone 3GS, allowing the 'phone to sleep and then waking it consistently has it come up showing "3G" and then, after some wait (varying amounts), the icon indicating the WiFi connection comes up.

Then, trying it connected to the little charger module, the 'phone ALWAYS comes up indicating the WiFi connection is still good. I tried this perhaps 20 times without fail.

Then, unplugging it and allowing it to sleep, it again comes up showing 3G when wakened. In one instance I plugged the charger on right away before the 3G could go away, and that ironically actually stuck it as 3G. I had to exit FMGo and go to Settings to reconnect to the network, and it actually failed on the 1st try again.

After more testing don't think it was plugging in the charger as much as doing any action before the 3G icon switched to WiFi... if FMGo is the app that it opens to. If I wake the 'phone, and slide the "slide to unlock" quickly before the 3G disappears, then (provided it's FMGo that it's waking to) the WiFi network connection is not established. Maybe it's because FMGo immediately tries to access the network. Waking with another app ('Things' for example) does not prevent the WiFi connection from establishing. 'Things' does do some network access shortly after launch (it syncs with my desktop) but may not do it immediately. I tried other apps as well, and none seems to freeze the connection the way waking to FMGo does.

So the worst case does seem to be some interaction with FMGo (not allowing the network to connect) and also that being connected to power or not, at least for waking, determines if it says connected to the WiFi while sleeping.

I'm aware your problem wasn't with sleeping, but it still seems related.

I found this thread on the Apple site regarding similar problems some other users have been having, that seems related to your situation:

Apple-Support-Wifi Issues

-Troy

• 5. Re: Network disconnect FM GO while on battery
                  chrisgysi

Hi there,

finally I am ready to post some more information about this issue, sorry, to not be able to write earlier...! Thank you Troy and TSGal for your immediate and interesting answers!!

Well, it seems, that our iPod touch (speaking of 7 brand new 8 GB G4's) force these particular network issue. As one can read many problems about general wi-fi problems related to the new iOS 4.2, I found out, that at least our tests with iOS 4.1 and higher show no difference due to my specific problem: use FM Go with the iPod on only battery and it (the wi-fi) will disconnect after about 20 to 30 minutes from the wi-fi network (note: no disconnection if on power cord!). You must quit FM Go or press the top switch to lock it; after release the iPod it reconnects quick, but of course the filemaker db connection is still broken... I tested on 3 different networks and 5 different routers (including Apple Airport, Timecapsule), batteries were fully loaded. Two devices once were pretty stable for a longer period but later, they failed too.

The good news: my iPhone 4 behaves on FM Go just fine!!! Yes, the wi-fi is stable and yet this is the device that works, tested with iOS 4.1 and 4.2.

Well I conclude this is related to Apple hardware/software but Filemaker should be aware that FM Go will not run nice in wi-fi network environments. I really hope and wish these problems get solved immediate! Otherwise FM Go is limited to fewer devices and/or just working with local files.

Chris

• 6. Re: Network disconnect FM GO while on battery
                    chrisgysi

Now we have found out that the wi-fi connection cut off after exact 30 minutes while FM Go is open and the iPod runs on battery (not wired!)!! No need to have any files open, just stay in the open dialog screen and wait for the network icon to disappear after 30 minutes.

This is on iPod touch (iOS 4.1 - 4.2.1) Model MC540FD

This is NOT on iPhone 4 (iOS 4.1 - 4.2.1), iPhone 4 works fine as it should.

Hope this helps somebody!

Chris

• 7. Re: Network disconnect FM GO while on battery
                      TSGal

chrisgysi:

After sending your information to our Testing department, they were able to replicate the problem.

They verified FileMaker Go will disconnect from Wi-Fi exactly at 30 minutes on battery power on an iPod touch (2nd generation), iPod touch (3rd generation), iPod touch (4th generation), and an iPhone 3G.  This occurred with an open hosted database file (running scripts or sitting idle), a local database file, and just sitting at the FileMaker Go home screen (no databases opened and no FileMaker Go network connectivity).  This occurred 100% of the time.

The devices that were not affected were the iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPad Wi-Fi and iPad Wi-Fi/3G.

Other third party applications were tested, and some of them also failed exactly at 30 minutes.

This appears to be a battery management issue on those devices.  Testing verified that plugging the device into a power source will immediately reconnect the Wi-Fi, as will quitting FileMaker Go and launching Safari.  This also held true for those third-party applications that also failed after 30 minutes.

TSGal
                      FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: Network disconnect FM GO while on battery
                        chrisgysi

Thank you for your answer TSGal! Please consider, it disconnects also while working on the database (running scripts, adding records and so on). The iPod must not be in idle state! This causes even more problems using it as an wireless device in an application environment. What is the conclusion? Is this issue on iOS/Apple or FM Go?

Chris

• 9. Re: Network disconnect FM GO while on battery
                          TSGal

chrisgysi:

As I originally posted, this occurs while "running scripts or sitting idle".  This is not an iOS issue, since the same iOS works fine on iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPad, but fails on iPod touch (2nd, 3rd, and 4th generation) and iPhone 3G.  As I mentioned, this problem also exists with some other apps at the 30-minute mark.  Again, this appears to be a battery management issue on those failed devices.  We have notified Apple with our findings.

TSGal
                          FileMaker, Inc.

• 10. Re: Network disconnect FM GO while on battery
                            chrisgysi

Hi all!

To give you some feedback on how we handle the disconnection problem in a live environment I thought to write some lines.

Well first, FM Go will loose its network connection after exact 30 minutes. This is expected behavior! See the original feedback post from Apple support:

Thank you for the escalation. This is expected behaviour, iPot would switch the connecting to Wi-Fi network  after 30 minutes to conserve the battery.
                            There is no difference in this behaviour between iPhone and iPod Touch, apart from the fact that, iPhone is using cellular  network after switching the wi-fi off.
                            In the past we had the issue that iPhone/iPod were draining the battery while in the sleep mode and the issue  persisted up until 4.1, it has been fixed with 4.2.1

This behavior is NOT on native OS apps as Safari and so on, only on 3rd party apps!!! Hey: Filemaker is owned by Apple, am I wrong!!???

Now it is a fact, that Filemaker MUST request for FM Go to keep up its network connection. My opinion would be to let the user switch this option on or off in FM Go! That easy. Battery consumption then is the users decision. FM Go is a business application also as a client in a server/client environment and clearly must keep up network connection because it is designed to to this...

We use FM Go for a Ski/Snowboard rental system on hundreds of rental items. Check availability, select customers and assign items to them. The seller is flexible and must not stick on one place but can walk around, care his customers and do all the rental on his mobile device; FM Go on iPod touch!

Now I had to take care, that the application is starting up very fast and easy. Because network disconnection, the seller must be able to get back to his application as fast as possible. Security aspects is minor issue for the moment as long as we have no stable connection.

To keep up working we handle it like this:

• The seller must take care to plug his device (just for a second!) to the power cord BEFORE the 30 minutes period. Yeah, thats it, so you gain another 30 minutes...
                            • Never press the home button and never leave FM Go to access other apps! FM Go my not handle to reconnect. Press the standby button instead to let the device go to sleep and wake it up to get back connected. If this takes just some seconds, FM Go reconnects (your fm app too, if you selected this in preferences!) and you gain another 30 minutes network time. Due to the design of your application, it work also over night... But if you have complex design e.g. many related databases, security systems (users, passwords and so on) it becomes more subtile to reconnect.

The bad things:

• If you loose connection, sometimes you must quit FM Go (not nice..) and reopen your files from scratch.
                            • If scripts are running and you loose connection (worst scenario!), pray to the universe, that all your data is complete and databases (record sets) don't go corrupt...

In realtime, having more than 10 people (sellers) working on devices, one can imagine, that this is not meant to go smooth forever... People having problems to think about the 30 minutes while working (busy or not), but it is just a try to finally start with this powerful possibilities in business environment: mobile devices as iPod/iPad AND FM Go! We are very sure, this has great future!!!

Good luck and happy new year!!

Chris

• 11. Re: Network disconnect FM GO while on battery
                              tcmeyers

Chris,

Even though our problem isn't exactly the same, I think they are both related to Apple's  4.2.1 update and power saving issues. In my case, the worst problem is with the iPhone. When the iPhone sleeps or is "locked" by the user, when it is unlocked, usually it's displaying "3G" instead of the Wireless Network icon, and unless you keep trying to wake it without unlocking it until the wireless icon appears, FileMaker Go is reopened but won't be able to reconnect. So, our solution has been to keep waking it, but not sliding the unlock arrow until the "waves" appear. Then FileMaker Go can restart normally. This of course is time-consuming and a huge nuisance.

Over this weekend, however, I accidentally radically changed the situation. I attempted to play a U-Tube video from the iPhone to a widescreen TV connected to an Apple TV using AirPlay and the phone's U-Tube app. There was something wrong with this though, and I was never able to do it from the iPhone, though I was from a different device. But the weird part is that the iPhone is seemingly still maintaining the connection (or so it thinks) to the AppleTV, and this has caused the iPhone to NEVER disconnect from the wireless network.

Since this has happened, the phone is immediately unlockable with the network active, and FileMaker Go relaunches without a hitch. I had forgotten how nice this was (as it was in 4.1) and again it's a pleasure to use it.

I'm afraid to experiment to see what's up with the U-Tube app, because I don't want this new behavior to go away!

Chris, perhaps you can try playing a U-Tube video (or maybe even just music with the iPod app) to an AirPlay-receiving device, in the background, and see if this prevents disconnect in your application.

-Troy

• 12. Re: Network disconnect FM GO while on battery
                                TSGal

chrisgysi:

Thank you for the additional information.  Your latest post has been attached to the original problem.  I'll keep you posted as information becomes available to me.

TSGal
                                FileMaker, Inc.

• 13. Re: Network disconnect FM GO while on battery
                                  tcmeyers

Chris,

I tested simply streaming audio from an Internet "radio" station to keep the connection going. I had to find an app that would work in the background so that FileMaker Go could be running, but with the digital audio still coming in. Not all apps will do this, but "StreamItAll" does. By connecting to a station and then launching FileMaker Go and opening remote databases, I can lock the iPhone and then wait quite a while, and unlock it, and the WiFi connection is still maintained, and FMGo is functional immediately, no reconnect or re-open time delays. If the phone is locked for a rather long time, then eventually the the FMS server disconnects it, and I get the "Disconnected, would you like to try to reconnect?" box, but even that reconnects quickly. I do not get the "3G" indication at all, only the WiFi wave icon.

I realize that your situation is different from ours... you need constant use of the iPods with no locking, while we only unlock when a datum needs to be recorded, but still, using this method might also help you maintain the connection beyond the 30 minute point. I don't know if it would work, but I'd be interested in finding out if it does, for you.

To me this proves that there is probably some method the FMGo could stay connected for an extended period of time, or while a device is locked, though whether that's permissible by Apple is a different question.

Also, I realize that if all your workers were streaming audio to keep their devices working, that'd probably eat a lot of bandwidth.

But I do think it would be interesting to try!

-Troy

• 14. Re: Network disconnect FM GO while on battery
                                    TSGal

Troy Meyers:

Thank you for the information about StreamItAll.  I have attached your entire post to the original report hoping it will provide some insight for future development.

TSGal
                                    FileMaker, Inc.

1 2 Previous Next