4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 21, 2012 11:28 AM by AnitaWoods

New iPad owner with lots of questions

AnitaWoods

Title

New iPad owner with lots of questions

I have been using FM Go on my iphone, and have FM Pro 11 on my Macbook Air.  I just bought an iPad solely for the purposes of having a tablet-sized version of my database.  I can click the "2x" button and get it to fill the iPad screen, but now thinking I should buy the FM Go for iPad, but I have a few questions before I plunk down another $40.

-Can FM Go for iPad sync with my Macbook FM Pro?  I've been using the file-sharing app section of iTunes, transferring the file back and forth, but I find this very cumbersome with one master & slave, that changes back and forth. I would like to have a way to sync automatically, just between my Macbook Air and my iPad.

-Is there a "missing manual" for FM Go for iPad that I can download that will tell me how to do that, if it is possible?  Or a manual that will help me with how best to design layouts to optimize FM Go for iPad's features?  I'm just a casual user, so many times simple instructions like "just set up FM as a host" go over my head.

-What is data sharing, and is that what I need to be using?

Thank you for your help.

• 1. Re: New iPad owner with lots of questions
          TSGal

Anita Woods:

Thank you for your post.

FileMaker Go for iPad takes advantage of the larger screen size.

FileMaker Pro does give you the ability to share a file over the network, so if your iPHone and iPad have internet access, then you can connect to the file hosted on your MacBook Pro and make changes in real-time.  In FileMaker Pro, open the file, pull down the File menu and select "Sharing -> FileMaker Network...".  Turn on "Network Sharing", and an IP Address will appear.  In the lower left half of that screen, click on your file, and on the right side, turn on "All users" for network access.  Click OK.  At this point, launch FileMaker Go, at the top right next to "Remote Files and Hosts" are two icons.  Tap the left icon to show all the Local Network Hosts.  Click the one for your Mac, and you'll be able to access the file as a guest and make changes in real-time.

You can transfer the file back and forth through iTunes, but if you have it on the iPhone and iPad and both make changes, how do you know which one should be the master.  You would need to write a script to evaluate the changes, but after reading your post, this may be a bit more complex and challenging, so sharing the data (described in the previous paragraph) would be the way to go.

Let me know if you need additional clarification.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: New iPad owner with lots of questions
            TSGal

Anita Woods:

I realized I forgot to mention a couple of resources that you may find helpful.

The FileMaker Go Development Guide provides a lot of information about FileMaker Go.  You can find it online at:

http://www.filemaker.com/support/product/docs/filemaker-go/fmgo_development.pdf

The other resource is the FileMaker Go Tech Brief at:

http://www.filemaker.com/products/filemaker-go/docs/techbrief_filemaker_go_121_en.pdf

This provides a lot more information including layout sizes for each device.

TSGal
            FileMaker, Inc.

• 3. Re: New iPad owner with lots of questions
              MargaretHilliard

I posted the following a few days ago because I was in your same position. I bet the two programs are similar and this is step by step.

Linking of Database on
              the iPad to the Mac Mini in the Home Office

Information
              Required:

• External IP Address: Write this down it will be
                used later.

This can be found by going to
              google.com and typing in the search line…”What is my external IP address”.  It will appear at the top of the Google
              search page.

• Internal IP Address: Write this down it MAY be
                used later.

This can be found by going to
              google.com and typing in the search line…”What is my internal IP address”.  It will appear at the top of the Google
              search page.

• Open Port 5003 on the host computer.

Call the ISP (Internet Service Provider) of your home
              computer network and ask them to walk you through how to “port forward
              5003”.  Port 5003 is the port that FileMaker
              uses. Having this port open in the fire wall is an important component to
              making this work.  Yes, there is risk
              having ports open to your fire wall, but no more risk than surfing the internet
              which opens ports with every connection.

How to Make the
              Connection:

FileMaker Pro should be installed on the Mac Mini and FileMaker
              Go should be installed on the iPad per the software developer’s directions.

Settings for the Mac Mini:

Perform the following to get the Mac Mini Ready:

• Click on the apple in the upper left corner

• Click on System Preferences: Under Internet & Wireless Choose
                "Sharing"

• A screen will come up that Shows the Computer Name.  In the middle of that screen choose options
                and click all boxes that are applicable.

• Same screen Click "Share files and folders using AFP"
                and Share files and folders using SMB (Windows).

• Same screen Click the User Accounts that are to be shared.

• Same screen On the left side I have all services checked for
                sharing.

• Then Exit this screen.

Settings for FileMaker Pro:

• Open FileMaker Pro and DATABASE on the Mac Mini

• Click File: Sharing: and FileMaker Network Settings. A screen will
                pop up that says FileMaker Network Settings. Under "Network Sharing"
                click "on".

• Below that you will see Internal IP addresses.  Just confirm at least one is the same as you
                found when you Googled.

• Same screen on the left side should be "Currently Open
                Files" (you may have to open all the DATABASE files to get a listing).
                Click on each file listed and make sure the box to the right is set for
                "All users".

• Press OK

• Return to the main FileMaker Pro and select, File, Sharing, and
                ODBC/JDBC.  A screen will pop up that
                says FileMaker ODBC/JDBC Settings.  Under
                "ODBC/JDBC Settings" click "on"

• Below that you will see Internal IP addresses. Just confirm at
                least one is the same as you found when you Googled.

• On the left side of the same screen you should see "Currently
                Open Files". Click on each file listed and make sure the box to the right
                is set for "All users".

• Press OK

Setting up the
              iPad

Open FileMaker Go:

• The FileMaker Go screen is divided into 2
                columns.  The left column is “Files on
                the Device”. The right column is “Remote Files and Hosts”. 

• Next to “Remote Files and Hosts” are 2
                icons.  Click on the 2nd icon
                that looks like 3 discs with a plus sign.

• A new screen will open that says “Add Host”

• In the first blank for the “Host Address” type
                in the External IP Address that you have researched from Google.  The address will look something
                like…96.248.XX.XXX.

• Hit the “Next” button.

• In the next blank space “Host Name” type in “DATABASE”
                or whatever you would like to name your Smart Business database.

• The iPad will revert back to the 2 column FileMaker
                Go format.

• From there hit the corresponding Host Name to
                your DATABASE and a list of files will pop up. 
                (If not then there is something wrong.)

• Hit either the invoice file or the contacts file
                and you will see DATABASE as you would normally. (If you don’t see DATABASE as
                you would normally see it, then there is something wrong.)
              • 4. Re: New iPad owner with lots of questions
                AnitaWoods
                 "Complex and challenging" is not something I'm up for. I just use this for my home-based business, and don't understand much of the jargon. Thank you for your help, I did get the remote login issue fixed, and am still working on this one. My problem with setting up my Mac as a host is that I travel with my iPad, so I need access to the database to make changes to the data, then come back home and sync. I was trying to find a way to do this without going through iTunes. It looks like that may be my only option without getting into something way too complex for me.  I don't use the db on my iPhone, other than just to view something quickly, but I don't use it to edit data, it's just too tiny.