5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 20, 2011 4:55 PM by Connor

No files available on iPad, good for iPhone

Connor

Title

No files available on iPad, good for iPhone

Hi,

Thanks for your help in advance with this.

I have a database hosted on my macbook pro that I connect to with my iPhone and my iPad.  Recently the iPad has been able to connect to the mac but is not able to access the database.  Once it is connected it says "(no files available)".

The iPad used to be able to connect to the database but no longer does.  My iPhone, on the same wifi network, is able to connect.  Neither of the devices are using 3G to connect.

At home both of the devices are able to connect to the database.

I've been reading the knowledge base articles and other forum posts and there are many mentions of the ports that are used.  I do not have access to the routers and I'm not very good at internet connectivity stuff.

I tried to forget the network on the iPad but it does not help.

The wifi settings are different on the iPad and iPhone.  They show different IP addresses and different Router Addresses. Should I be forcing these to be the same on the iPhone and iPad?  Can you help me with instructions to force these addresses to be the same?

Thanks!!!

• 1. Re: No files available on iPad, good for iPhone
          Connor

Does anyone know anything about this?  I ended up going to an iPad 2 and it worked for about a week.  Now it is having the same problem as my last one.  The iPhone still works perfectly.

• 2. Re: No files available on iPad, good for iPhone

connor:

Thanks for posting and I apologize for the late response.

It sounds like you could possibly be connecting to a different wireless network. Head to Settings and then Wi-Fi. You should see a list of routers under "Choose a Network..". Make sure that the one you're connected to on the iPad matches the one you're connected to on your iPhone.

TSBear

FileMaker, Inc.

• 3. Re: No files available on iPad, good for iPhone
              Connor

Hi TSBear,

Thank you for your response!

They do use different routers even though the wifi network is called the same thing.  I tried using the DHCP settings from my iPhone as static for the iPad but then the iPad won't connect to the Wifi.  I also tried using the same IP address, Subnet Mask, and DNS that the iPad uses during DHCP and forcing the static router but then it won't connect to the Wifi.

I'm going to try to pay very close attention and see if one of these days if it magically starts working again so that I can save the settings.

If you have any other guidance I'd be happy to try it.  In the meantime I'll wait for our IS&T guys to contact me back about how to force the router.

Thanks!

Connor

• 4. Re: No files available on iPad, good for iPhone
                Connor

Hi TSBear,

Thank you for your help so far.  When I came into the office today my iPad is able to connect to my computer.  I did notice that when my iPad does connect it uses a different router.  I have read the router setup and it says you need to use port 5003.  

I emailed our web team and they said that they cannot configure all our buildings routers to use port 5003 due to Information Security mandates.

Do you know if there is any intent to modify the FMGo to work with any port?

Thanks!

• 5. Re: No files available on iPad, good for iPhone
                  Connor

Hi TS Bear,

Just to give you one more update, it looks like it didn't have to do with the port 5003 after all.  Our company uses a Wifi that has the same name anywhere around the campus.  You will have the same network name as I do.  The disable the buildings from communicating with each other.  I'm in VG1 and my iPad was somehow connecting (sometimes) to VG2.  My iPhone would always stay on this building.  The IS&T people are going to be able to take care of this.

Thanks!

Connor