6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 7, 2013 12:44 PM by NathanVeitch

Not going to object on iPad

NathanVeitch

Title

Not going to object on iPad

Hi There,

I was going to ask this a while ago, but didn't get around to it. I am noticing a major pain in the neck with regards to FM Go, when I am scrolling down the screen on the iPad it all works well until I need the program to go to the button that I have labeled 'Next'. I noticed that it just never went to the button. I even added a script step, Go To Field ('Next') and that didn't even help. 

Is there something I am missing :( or is there something else I need to do to get this to work. It really makes my program look cheap when I am at the login screen and the user can enter there name, then the company and then when the program should hop to the button, it instead goes back to the field where the user enters in their name. How can a get around this? 

• 1. Re: Not going to object on iPad
          TSGal

Nathan Veitch:

Thank you for your post.

If you have a button, then use "Go to Object".  Be sure you name the button under Inspector > Position > Name.

Let me know if you need additional clarification.

TSGal
               FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Not going to object on iPad
            NathanVeitch

Hi TSGal,

Thanx for the reply. I don't mean to sound funny but have you been able to get this working on an iPad? Cause I have tried that and I have not been able to get it working. It works like a dream on the Mac and Windows, but on the iPad it just doesn't want to work. 

For example, on my one layouts, I have a TAB setup with 4 TAB's. Now on the second TAB there is a script trigger on one of the fields that would switch the user between 2 different layouts depending on the users selection on that field. So I added to the script, the Go to Object, to get the user back to TAB 2, and then a Go to Field, pointing to the next field on the TAB, so that the user would not know that they had changed layouts. On the Mac and Windows machine's this works perfectly, but when I tested it on the iPad the script runs but the user ends up at the first TAB. 

Also if I have a layout, and this is were it always happens, I have a layout with a number of fields and a 'Next' button, to send the user to the next portion of the program. On a machine this works like clock work, but on the iPad the user gets pushed back to the first field on the layout. The user has to click out of he field and then scroll to the bottom to press the 'Next' button. 

I have tried different names for the objects, I have tried resetting the Tab Order, I have even tried multiple Go to Object steps in the script, nothing seems to work in getting the program to go to the object. 

I'm sure I am doing something wrong here, but I jsut don't know what :( and it is driving me crazy. 

• 3. Re: Not going to object on iPad
              TSGal

Nathan Veitch:

I have it working on an iPad right now.  The script trigger I am using is OnObjectExit.  What script trigger are you using?  What are the steps in the script being called?

TSGal
                   FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Not going to object on iPad
                NathanVeitch

crying I have tried that. I even went so far as to make a script that only has Go to Object and the name of the object and I set that as the On Object Exit and Save and still nothing. I was just looking at on of my programs and on the first screen I have set the tab order to first go to the objects and then the fields and when I press next the focus only goes between the fields, it goes nowhere near the buttons cryingcrying

This is driving me up the wall. I have developed 3 programs and the same thing is happening on all 3 of my programs. I wrote a very small little order form program as my first program and that was where I first noticed it. I thought it was just because I was new to FM. Now that I am on my third program and the same thing is still happening I am at a loss for words. 

I do have to say though, when I saw you post I thought let me try it one more time, so I wrote the script and attached it to the field as the OnObjectExit trigger and when I checked it on the iPad it seemed to work, but then I quickly noticed that it wasn't allowing me into the field at all. I had to delete the field and redo the field to get it working again. 

I'm sure it is a setting or something that I am doing wrong, its just friggin annoying sad but I will continue to try and figure this one out and if I do get it working properly I will let you know what I did. 

Come to think about it, I might not, cause I'm sure it is something retarded that I am doing blushlol

Thanx again for the help thou smiley

• 5. Re: Not going to object on iPad
                  TSGal

Nathan Veitch:

I'm sure it is nothing "retarded" you are doing.  It could be a corrupt layout, or it may something overlooked.  Since you didn't include the script, I'm trying to remember my learning process with script triggers.

If you are using OnObjectExit, keep in mind that the script triggers before the event.  That means, at the end of the script, the keystroke that was used to activate the script will then be executed.  If you are pressing tab, this might account for the first field to become active since the script will run first before the tab.  Therefore, at the end of the script being triggered, insert "Halt Script".  See if that makes a difference.

For more about the script triggers and what executes before and after an event, see "Setting up script triggers" in the Help at:

http://www.filemaker.com/12help/html/create_layout.9.54.html#1157552

If this is still not the issue, please provide the script steps so I can try to replicate it here.

TSGal
                       FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: Not going to object on iPad
                    NathanVeitch

TSGal,

I will have a look at it again in the morning, right now I am going to be heading home as it is getting late this side of the world. also if I look at it with fresh eyes in the morning I might find where I am going wrong blush

Also it will give me some time to go over the help file you sent and have a good think about it. 

Thanx for the help thou and if I don't come right you can be sure you will be the first to hear about it :) I will also try the Halt Script, that could work, but that is for the morning, right now it's time for bed, well to go home to bed anyway :)

Do have a good night yourself and chat soon