3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 14, 2011 9:31 AM by DanYotz

Odd record navigating actions...

DanYotz

Title

Odd record navigating actions...

I've had a couple unexplainable actions occur over the last couple weeks while navigating records...

1) in one instance (happened multiple times with different records), I am entering data on what is my own Item number 45 (which is a record), this is shown as maybe Record 6 within the Toolbar, I hit the NEXT RECORD navigation button on the toolbar  and it goes to my Item 46, yet the Record indicator still shows Record 6, now I hit PREVIOUS RECORD within the toolbar and it returns to Item number 45 and shows it as Record 5.

2) at another time, I have a Script that copies data from the previous record and inserts it in the current record - it simply stopped working (FM appeared to have problems finding the previous record) ... I had to hit PREVIOUS RECORD on the toolbar multiple times and then use NEXT RECORD to return to the record that I was on, then hit the button that runs my script and it worked just fine. 

I closed background applications (iPad2), and reopened the file, and I didn't have the 2nd problem again.  I occasionally still have the first problem.

Is this an issue of filesize?  Currently, the file is at 720MB, and will surpass 1GB before this project is finished. 

• 1. Re: Odd record navigating actions...
          philmodjunk

The tool bar displays the position of the current record in the current found set's sort order. This can be a completely different value than a serial number field in your current record.

• 2. Re: Odd record navigating actions...

Is your record order based on a sort and are you changing data in that field and does changing the data alter the sort order? I've seen report views where editing a record will cause it to move to a different position in the report and creating a new record on commit will move to a new position in the report view.

• 3. Re: Odd record navigating actions...
              DanYotz

Although I have had issue too, (especially when the sort includes the date that is being updated), the issue I experienced was not based on the sort order.  It was very bizare.  I have not experienced it again for quite some time.  My latest guesses are that either the file was somewhat corrupted - and now fixed, or my latest thought... On FMgo if you change the app without closing the file, the next time you open FMgo it asks if you want to pickup where you left off, well, it is possible that I had sync'd to computer, updated, and re-sync'd to iPad in that time, and (not knowing how FMgo deals with memory issues) perhaps FMgo is attempting to utilize the "saved state" it had when the application closed with the "new" data set.

Not sure how I was doing before, but now I make certain to deny "starting where I left off" after syncs, and I haven't had the aforementioned problem in quite some time.

I appreciate all the responses I received on this issue...