6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 8, 2015 2:08 PM by GlennBalloch

One-Way Sync from FM Server

GlennBalloch

Title

One-Way Sync from FM Server

Hi , apologies if this is in the wrong place

I have FM Server and am trying to deploy reference database to FM Go clients

The clients don't need to update the records, so just need to be able to retrieve the latest version when on the company wireless and then use offline

Any idea how to accomplish this?

• 1. Re: One-Way Sync from FM Server
          TSGal

Glenn Balloch:

Thank you for your post.

Since the file cannot be closed on FileMaker Server, one option is to have a script on the local file that deletes all local records, and then imports all the data from the FileMaker Server hosted file.  This will ensure the data is up-to-date on the FileMaker Go device.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: One-Way Sync from FM Server
            GlennBalloch

Thanks

But how do you get the file to be local first, can you specify it to be downloaded from the server for offline use. Or do you have to copy via iTunes of fm-pro first?

• 3. Re: One-Way Sync from FM Server
              TSGal

Glenn Balloch:

Have a script on the local file that opens the hosted file.  Once open, then continue with the script to delete all records and import the records from the hosted file into the local file.

TSGal
              FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: One-Way Sync from FM Server
                TSGal

Glenn Balloch:

My apologies for not reading your reply correctly.

You will need to get a copy of the file onto your iOS device before anything else.  Before transferring the file to your iOS device, use FileMaker Pro to create a script that opens the remote file and performs the import.  Then, move the file via iTunes (or Dropbox or other transfer options) to your iOS device.  Launch FileMaker Go, open the local file, and then perform the script.

TSGal
                FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: One-Way Sync from FM Server
                  philmodjunk

Since this is a clone, the file is likely small enough to email to the iOS device as an attachment. You can store such a clone in a container field in the hosted file and use a script to send out an email to the user with the file attached. They can then use "open in" to open the attachment in FileMaker Go and then TSGal's import script can pull the data from the server into this newly opened clone. Just make sure that you have a good WiFi connection before you attempt the import.

• 6. Re: One-Way Sync from FM Server
                    GlennBalloch

Thanks for the replies

After doing some further research I came across "Filemaker Go App Maker" is this still an option under the latest version? as looking at it we cane use our MDM to deploy this

Am I right in my understanding?