6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 7, 2014 4:07 PM by philmodjunk

Opening an FM Pro file with FM Go

PaulClick

Title

Opening an FM Pro file with FM Go

I'm new to all this, so please bear with me.  I have a 5500 entry contact database on a PC that I would like to move to FM Go on my iPad.  So far, I have copied the database to Dropbox.  I actually emailed the file to myself on Yahoo, and then managed to copy it to "Documents" on the iPad, but can't figure out what to do next.  Could someone please give me a simple, step-by-step explanation of what I need to do to make this happen?  So much thanks in advance!

• 1. Re: Opening an FM Pro file with FM Go
          AppGuy

If you are using dropbox.. when you open the database you would choose FM go..

you can also copy the database directly to fm go in iTunes.. just click on apps.. then click filemaker go..  drop and drag..

• 2. Re: Opening an FM Pro file with FM Go
            PaulClick

As I said, I'm new to this.  The Filemaker Pro file that I have has an extension of .fp5  I have FM Go 13, and I think I read that it will only recognize .fmp12 files.  I guess this could be the cause of my issues, as I just cannot get your suggestions to work.  I do have access to a colleague with FM Pro 12, so I'll try to have them convert the file for me and see what happens.

• 3. Re: Opening an FM Pro file with FM Go
              TSGal

Paul Click:

Thank you for your posts.

Yes, FileMaker Go 12/13 will only open files with the extension .fmp12.  The file that you have is a FileMaker Pro 5/6 file.  You will need to update this to FileMaker Pro 12/13 first before using it in FileMaker Go.  The update can only be performed with a copy of FileMaker Pro.

Let me know if you need additional clarification.

TSGal
                   FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Opening an FM Pro file with FM Go
                PaulClick

Thank you so much for your reply.  It'll take me a couple of days to get access to FMP12 to get the conversion done.  After that, if I still have problems, as Arnold would say, "I'll be back!"  smiley

• 5. Re: Opening an FM Pro file with FM Go
                  TSGal

Paul Click:

If you want, send in your .fp5 file, and I'll convert it for you.  Check your Inbox at the top of this page for instructions where to send the file.

TSGal
                       FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: Opening an FM Pro file with FM Go
                    philmodjunk

A FileMaker 5/6 file cannot be converted by FileMaker 13 or 13. You have to use FileMaker 11 to convert it first, then convert it to FileMaker 12 format.

First, you use FileMaker 11 to convert to .fp7 format, then you use Filemaker 12 to convert to .fmp12 format.

Here's a download link for a 30 day free trial copy of Filemaker 11 you can use for the first step of the conversion:

http://info.filemaker.com/Us_en_FileMaker_Pro_11_Trial.html

And you can download a 30 day free trial copy of FIleMaker 13 to compete the conversion.

I also recommend that you read these two Knowledge Base articles on converting your files:

Converting to .fp7 format: http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/750/kw/converting

Converting to .fmp12 format: http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/10571/kw/converting

Be prepared to invest some time into testing and updating the converted files as there is a good chance that your converted files may not function perfectly. The KB articles cover many, but not all of the possible issues. Feel free to post back here with any issues you encounter that don't seem to have been covered by the KB articles.