3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 22, 2010 1:06 PM by TSGal

Opening Shared Database on iPod Touch

DickRoennfeldt

Title

Opening Shared Database on iPod Touch

Following recent purchase of FileMaker Go app, I am able to load databases onto iPod Touch using iTunes.

I have also belatedly discovered that referenced images in container fields are not displayed on the iPod Touch (something which is not obviously mentioned in any documentation I have seen) and I presume this same limitation will apply to hosted databases as well as loaded files.

However having no luck trying to view an open database using local WiFi connection between iPod Touch and iMac.

I am able to see the local network host and the name(s) of any open databases but any attempt to open a database produces the error message 'The file "..." could not be opened. The host's capacity was exceeded, try again later.'

Am using FM Pro Advanced 8.5v2 and I suspect that the error message relates to 'Accounts & Privileges' settings on the file to be accessed.

Do I need to make any settings here? I have tried an 'All Users' setting for full access and read only access without success.

• 1. Re: Opening Shared Database on iPod Touch
          TSGal

Dick Roennfeldt:

Thank you for your post.

Referenced images can only be accessed if the guests have access to the shared server where the images are located.  Otherwise, the images will not be displayed.

Using FileMaker Go on my iPod touch, I am able to access FileMaker Pro 8.5v2 files being hosted on a Mac.  Just make sure your Mac and iPod touch are on the same Wi-Fi network, and also make sure you don't have any Firewall setting that blocks incoming connections to the Mac.  If your Firewall issues are fine, then also try an Ad Hoc network to bypass any possible settings between the Mac and iPod touch.

The access privileges should still allow you to see the file.  If you don't have the right access privileges, it may inhibit what you see and access once you've entered the file.

Let me know if you continue to run into difficulty.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Opening Shared Database on iPod Touch
            wj

A different question on the topic of FM Go: Does it connect to shared databases on both Macs and PCs? We are PC-based and considering purchasing iPads for classroom report filing by connecting to a FM Server. Do we need to buy a Mac for the FM server? Does one or the other work better?

• 3. Re: Opening Shared Database on iPod Touch
              TSGal

wj:

Thank you for your post.

FileMaker Go will connect as a guest to a hosted file; whether it is on Windows or Mac OS.  That is, it acts like FileMaker Pro as it would connect to files hosted on a server whether it is on Windows or Mac OS.  In simpler terms, you do not need "to buy a Mac for the FM Server".

TSGal
              FileMaker, Inc.