3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 9, 2014 2:56 AM by Maikel

Opening the PDF files on the iPad goes wrong

Maikel

Title

Opening the PDF files on the iPad goes wrong

I use a FileMaker Server 13, my users are using the database using Filemaker Pro and FileMaker Go. When my users work in filemaker pro all files can be opened. But if they try to export  a container field in the FileMaker Go app alle files will be openend  except the PDF files!

I use the script below, I get the error message below ... 

The error message I get is also given when i'm in the same network. Is this a problem on my mac mini (filemaker server) or in the filemaker script?

How can I fix this problem?

foto.png

• 1. Re: Opening the PDF files on the iPad goes wrong
          TSGal

Maikel:

Thank you for your post.

Are you able to export the file to the DocumentsPath?  That is, try the following:

Set Variable [ $filepath ; Value: "file:" & Get (DocumentsPath) & "test.pdf" ]
               Export Field Contents [ <Container field> ; "$filepath" ; Automatically open ]

If this works, then replace Get (DocumentsPath) with Get (TemporaryPath).

If this works, then replace "test.pdf" with the actual filename.

Keep me updated with any progress.

TSGal
               FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Opening the PDF files on the iPad goes wrong
            Timothy Bentley

You may also want to try using Get(DocumentsPath) without automatically opening and see if it is on your device (or use Open URL).

• 3. Re: Opening the PDF files on the iPad goes wrong
              Maikel

Thanks for the input!!

It took a while but I have the solution "almost" complete. 
                   As you can see in the appendix, I use two different methods depending wat kind of device i'm using. 

In this method, I first save the file to the ipad then i'll open it. Strangely he only work in two steps. 

The previous problem is that the file should be stored temporarily on the ipad and after viewing it should be removed automatically. 
                   Now the file remains on the ipad itself. After opening a document its  available in the FileMaker Go app itself (starting filemaker Go left bar side device) is there a script step the covers this problem?