3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 27, 2010 7:01 AM by TSGal

Optimal DateBase Design for Filemaker Go?

DrewHoffman

Title

Optimal DateBase Design for Filemaker Go?

I noticed sometime FM go will hang or get slow when opening a new DB for the 1st time, or running a script for the 1st time when the DB is on FM11 Server. Once loaded, if you do the same script, it is much faster, but later slows down. Does anyone know How FM Go works? Does it Load all the script and layouts on opening a file connection? Does is cache anything?

Does having all the data in several files vs on file make a huge difference? I see little to none when I test. 

Thanks

• 1. Re: Optimal DateBase Design for Filemaker Go?
          TSGal

Drew Hoffman:

Thank you for your post.

There are many things that affect performance.  It is mostly about the layouts and what tables are being referenced.  There is a cache, but with a lot less memory and processing speed on an iPhone/iPad compared to a Mac, some resources are shuffled in and out at varying times.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Optimal DateBase Design for Filemaker Go?
            DrewHoffman

TSGal, 

Thanks for the info. What part of a table is the issue. Is it the number or records, number of layouts, number of objects, etc? In a situation when the table is in the background and the data is pulled via a relationship is there still overhead from the data file. 

Thanks

Drew

• 3. Re: Optimal DateBase Design for Filemaker Go?
              TSGal

Drew Hoffman:

All of your points could be a factor.  For example, if you have 1000 fields, it will take longer to access the data than if you had 10 fields.  If there are 1000 objects on a layout, it will take longer to render than if you had 10 objects.  It will take a bit longer to access record 5,000 (out of 10,i000) than it would to access record 5 (out of 10).  A portal with one record and two fields will be a bit quicker than a portal with 10 records and 10 fields, although the information will be quick to access due to the index.

In other words, there are a lot of factors involved.  If the data being pulled is in the background, then you probably won't notice any difference.  The data being displayed would be more apparent.  This applies to FileMaker Pro in general.

TSGal
              FileMaker, Inc.