4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 7, 2013 4:17 PM by philmodjunk

Optimizing layout for iPad

jackien

Title

Optimizing layout for iPad

Trying to perfect my ipad/iphone layout. I've been using the orange guidelines given, but I always get a lot of "play" or extra scrolling on the sides and bottom.

If I follow the orange guides for the horizontal layout, while in vertical mode I have a lot of extra unneeded space that I can scroll through and it messes up my concentration.

If I use the vertical guidelines, I have the ability to scroll up and down, and it shows the dark grey background of GO. I everything flush with the orange lines, why is there so much extra room to accidentally scroll?

• 1. Re: Optimizing layout for iPad
          TSGal

Jackie Norstrom:

Thank you for your post.

For the iPhone, make sure the width of the layout is set for 312 pixels or less.    That is, click on the Body of the layout, and size the right edge of the layout until you see the width is set for 312 or less.  This will ensure the iPhone won't move horizontally.  Depending on the iPhone the length of the layout is generally 385 pixels with toolbar or 429 pixels without toolbar.

Let me know if you need additional clarification.

TSGal
               FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Optimizing layout for iPad
            jackien

I'm just having problems with the iPad. I can't get that layout to size correctly. 

When I size for a vertical layout with the iPad, I get a scroll on the top and bottom, and in this size, when I rotate to horizontal I get alot of extra space.

If I try to fix that space, I end up getting a lot of extra scrolling room.

• 3. Re: Optimizing layout for iPad
              TSGal

Jackie Norstrom:

On the iPad, in Portrait, you have 768 pixels width by 929 pixels height with the Toolbar, and 768 pixels width by 973 pixels height without the Toolbar.  In Landscape, you have 1024 width by 673 height with Toolbar, and 1024 width by 717 height without Toolbar.

Therefore, if you rotate the iPad from Portrait to Landscape, the screen will adjust to fit the screen.  However, if you rotate back from Landscape to Portrait, the screen will not adjust.  Just pinch the screen to make the layout fit again.

TSGal
                   FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Optimizing layout for iPad
                philmodjunk

The stencils are set for including the tool bar. If you hide the tool bar--which can be scripted, you get more room on your screen than predicted by the stencil's rectangle.