4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 27, 2012 3:27 PM by alc

Outputting modified records From FMGo 11 AND 12

alc

Title

Outputting modified records From FMGo 11 AND 12

I'd like to find a way to output FOUND records from FMGo. (these would be only records that exist on / and have been modified on the mobile device) 

I'd like to create one script that would work in BOTH v11 and 12 - ( so obviously this will involve branching statements based on GoApp Version - and THEN approach) as I'm finding it best to get things functioning properly on v12 before convertiong files

The prime confusion: I can find no Scripted way to do this in either version. The FMGo v12 PDF says you can script it, but then only describes how user needs to go to Tools menu etc.

WHAT ARE FOLKS doing. I can't see having to write a treatise for users on how to approach.

This is part 2 of a scenario that I began in FMPro Forum entitield Finding TRULY modified records

Thanks for all suggestions - xandra

(PS: before someone suggests it, It's NOT practical for me to always host file)

• 1. Re: Outputting modified records From FMGo 11 AND 12
          philmodjunk

But can you get a good connection during the time that you "sync" your iOS device back to the file on a computer that hosts a copy of your file?

Did you know that two companies, seedCode and 360Works now offer a method for synching iOS FileMaker files?

• 2. Re: Outputting modified records From FMGo 11 AND 12
            alc

Phil:

But can you get a good connection during the time that you "sync" your iOS device back to the file on a computer that hosts a copy of your file?

Not sure what you mean by this (or at least relevance). When I'm Hosting the file, there's no need to sync. When I'm on my local wifi dealing with a file which resides on iOS device, the connection is plenty fast enough (essentially instantaneous). While on cellular, speed would be more than adequate on decent size DBs, but I'd tend wait for wifi access to transfer larger files - One reason why I'd prefer a scripted export of only modified records.

Perhaps I should explain: thus far I'm only using FMGo for one person with multiple devices (a much more common scenario than most would appreciate). Until I've gotten my iOS dbs bulletproof for personal use, I wouldn't pass on.

----

Many, Thanks for the Tips on seedCode and 360Works, I'll look into look into them. Although admit hesitance on dependance on 3rd party solutions at least as a temporary measure, they might prove useful.

• 3. Re: Outputting modified records From FMGo 11 AND 12
              philmodjunk

In this case, the 3rd party solutions are from long established companies and while expensive, could save you many hours of development and testing trying to do it for your self.

I asked about a 'good connection' because one of your concerns was that you wouldn't always have a good connection and thus didn't want to set up your iOS devices as clients of a hosted DB. I assumed that meant you wanted to enter and modify data on an iOS device and them "sync" that data back to a central copy of it. If you plan on "rolling your own" it will probably be best not to try it except from where you have a reasonably fast and reliable link to your central, hosted database.

• 4. Re: Outputting modified records From FMGo 11 AND 12
                alc

HI Phil, I have no doubt they're established, reliable etc. - that's the great part about getting reccomendations from someone in the know. My avoidance of reliance on 3rd party situations, is just to avoid adding one more link in a breakable chain, (it's really enough right now to keep iOS / MacOS / Windoze / and FileMaker - their fonts/quirks/requirements  in lockstep) 

I've been hoping someone had written a reasonably bullet proof solution (script / field combo) for minor updating (rather than replacing entire db - via Dropbox which is one way only (computer to iOS) since FMP does not support it.)

To be clear: The databases in question (one for passwords, another for private contacts) are for single user, in multiple scenarios (ie I'd be using either at the computer, hosted from my computer via FMNet, or occasionally via cellular on 4G) The goal is to simply eMail back the record info for the modified records. (excel or other depending on the Go version, when  my computer is off (WAY to much lightning here to run 24/7.)

I am however, trying to design in a manner to be as idiot proof as possible so that I could distribute clones to friends and family members for there personal use. But there is no scenario, where more than one user at a time would be accessing the DB. 

----

PS re your other post: I can one-up you. I began with FMP 2.01. However unlike you I'm still often rely on some rather dated but less efficient/ structurally sound methods... 

I REALLY REALLY WISH you'd own develop for an iOS device. FileMaker has a huge opportunity to become primary platform for businesses and a hugely successful App for individual users on iOS - if they don't blow it. The inabiltiy to actually sync files is currently the primary roadblock.