1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 30, 2014 12:10 PM by philmodjunk

Parkinson's Disease symptom tracker needs

ChrisAltwegg

Title

Parkinson's Disease symptom tracker needs

I have Parkinson's Disease and it's really important that I take the correct dose of medicine at the correct times. But figuring out what those dosages and times are is a painstaking process. You need a fair amount of data collected over time. Instead of trying to remember or write things down, I want to build a Filemaker database that I can carry on my iPhone. But I'l hitting two problems that I can't solve.

1. I need to have a reminder that goes off at a certain number of minutes after I've tracked a previous dose. Ideally it would be an alarm on the iPhone or a text message or something that alerts me that it's been 30 minutes since I took my meds and now I should evaluate my symptoms. Another alarm might alert me that it's been 3.5 hours since my last dose so I should take more. I can't really create a batch of preprogrammed alarms in my iPhone Clock app because I may take my first dose at 6:30 one more morning and at 8:15 on another day.

2. The second need I'm having trouble with is recreating the tracking tool my neurologist would like me to use. It's a sliding bar with a point I should move across to what I feel is my relative opinion. She says she doesn't want to use a simple row of checkboxes from 0 to 10. I'm not sure I completely understand her rationale but she feels this makes this more qualitative in data collection. (see the screenshot from her web based tool she's using for a different research project.)

If I can get these two interface elements dealt with, the rest of the app on the iPhone is pretty simple. Things like a text field where I might enter general notes about what I'm working on in my job and if I'm feeling good today. I'll capture how many hours did I sleep. What did I have for lunch. Did I have 1 beer or 2 with dinner?

Then I can export this data into spreadsheet form and we can look for patterns that might indicate things like take a smaller dose in the morning, larger doses closer together from lunchtime to quitting time and then back off in the evening unless I'm going to be in a more stressful evening situation.

Sorry to be so long, I appreciate you sticking with me. Any help, please? 

SS_7.png

• 1. Re: Parkinson's Disease symptom tracker needs
          philmodjunk

Seems to me that data collected by your check box method and the doctor's sliding bar method would look identical once the data is imported into a spread sheet.

You might see if InstallOnTimer Script can be set up to work as your reminder tool. If necessary, a script can open  multiple windows and set a different timer to count down on each window if you need multiple overlapping timers.