3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 8, 2010 6:32 AM by TSGal

PDF Export Methods

PeteFarnsworth

Title

PDF Export Methods

Hi,

I am new to the forum, and have read through a few posts here and there, but didn't see an answer to my question.

I have been developing a database with an end product that I am hoping could be printed out on standard 8.5x11 inch paper. What I would like to do is be able to take the records from a days work and export them to a PDF for my client. I have tried to use the list view of my layout and then Save to PDF within FileMaker Go, but I ran into a few problems.

The size of the PDF is roughly 10x14 inches, which isn't printer friendly. The second problem I run into is that my layouts will end up split over two pages sometimes. I would like to have multiple records appear on a single page, but never have to turn from one page to the other to see the rest of a single record. The last issue I run into are the page margins, which is related to the export size of the PDF.

So, my question is this: Is there an alternate method of creating a PDF through FileMaker Go that can solve my issues? Is there a script that will make a PDF to a certain size and prevent records from being split? Is there a better way of going about this whole process? Is there more than one way to "skin this cat"?

Any and all help will be appreciated, and if you would like to see my layout, feel free to ask.

Thanks,

-Pete

• 1. Re: PDF Export Methods
          TSGal

Pete Farnsworth:

Thank you for your post.

At this time, iOS does not have the ability to print.  Therefore, there is no page size, and you cannot determine where the page break is going to occur.  From all that I have read, a future version of iOS will have the ability to print, but it is unknown how FileMaker Go will work with this new iOS.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: PDF Export Methods
            PeteFarnsworth

TSGal, thank you for your response, but I think you missed the point of my post. I fully understand the capabilities of the iPad itself. I am trying to send PDFs to other people in a format that is legible, printable, and in a standard size so that a client can print it on their end if need be. I understand that you have a lot of posts to deal with on this site, but responding to the first two sentences in my post seems unfair.

• 3. Re: PDF Export Methods
              TSGal

Pete Farnsworth:

Sorry for my lack of explanation.

All PDF files that I create on my iPad/iPhone/iPod touch display one page, even if the layout is 36 inches in height.  When I bring it to the Mac and print, it will print using the current printer settings.  That is, it will print four pages.  Since I have no control over the printer settings of the person receiving the PDF file, I've had some luck by not having anything on the layout between 10 and 11 inches.  That way, the page break will be clean.  As far as width, I used to limit it to 8 inches, but on some printers, even that gets cut off, so I've moved it down to 7.75 inches.

Let me know if you need additional clarification.

TSGal
              FileMaker, Inc.