3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 3, 2011 11:41 AM by JasonBeam

PDF size in FMGO vs FMPA 11

JasonBeam

Title

PDF size in FMGO vs FMPA 11

Hi,

I'm working on an iPad projeect and I'm having an awful time emailing a PDF of a layout from within FMGO.

The size of the file is HUGE! In this case, the file is 18MB. However, when I dump the same layout to a PDF in FMPA 11, the file is less than 1/3 the size of the one on the iPad (with even more records being printed to the file).

The layout represents a pretty large report, so I can understand some size to the file, but I don't understand the HUGE size difference between the 2 programs.

Could this be a font issue? I'm not using Helvetica (read that this font caused some fiel size issues).

I'm open to ideas. I appreciate any help you can offer.

Thanks,

Jason

• 1. Re: PDF size in FMGO vs FMPA 11
          JasonBeam

I've tried removing everything but text and portals to text items from a page of the layout and then tried printing a single page to PDF. I STILL can't get the FM GO PDF size down to the same size as MULTIPLE pages printed to PDF in FMPA.

So anything more than 2-3 pages saved to PDF is too large to email. It seems insane that 4 pages of text in a layout saved to PDF is about 15MB!

Somehow I've got to find a solution that will let me produce a reasonably sized PDF in my iPad like I can on my Mac and PC.

• 2. Re: PDF size in FMGO vs FMPA 11
            TSGal

Jason Beam:

Thank you for your post.

I am unable to replicate your problem.  This is what I did:

1. I created a database file with a few fields.

2. I entered data into one record.

3. I pulled down the File menu and select Save/Send Records As... -> PDF, and saved a file.

4. I hosted the file and made it available over the network.

5. I launched FileMaker Go on my iPad and selected the file.

6. I tapped the gear icon, selected Print -> PDF -> Email, and sent the file to my Mac account.

7. The files are a little different in size, as the FileMaker Go file is slightly smaller than the Mac PDF file.

Perhaps it would be easier if you send me a copy of your file.  Check your Inbox at the top of this page for instructions where to send the file.

TSGal
            FileMaker, Inc.

• 3. Re: PDF size in FMGO vs FMPA 11
              JasonBeam

I never figured out what the problem was, but I did start a new layout for the report and had no issues.

Once I figured out that the new layout worked, I canned to old one. The only major difference is that I did not use portals on the second version.

Now the PDF size is fialy close to that of both the Mac and PC.

Thanks,

Jason