6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 26, 2010 9:32 AM by jungovox

performance issues -

jungovox

Title

performance issues -

Hi there -

We were very excited when Go was release and jumped on a customer visit/order taking system - .. Although we are optimizing record and graphic size - a simple database with a thousand records is unusable on 3g - but better on wifi

Local file  on Ipad:

To our surpirse performace as a local file ON the ipad was poor - delays to do simple finds or sort of even a small group of records - and 30 seconds to populate 1000 records with a text lookup from a file in the same database - also the screen redraw is slow.

These same simple routines on a local computer are instant ...

Do you think this Ipad processor issue - or fm go is not fully optimized yet ?

• 1. Re: performance issues -
          TSGal

jungo:

Thank you for your post.

The processor on an iPad is much slower than a Mac, so that will be a performance factor.  Without seeing your file/solution, it is difficult to determine what other factors are contributing to the performance.  Let me know if you would like me to look at your file.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: performance issues -
            jungovox

Look at my file ? seriously ?

thanks !!! - how do I send it to you ?

• 3. Re: performance issues -
              TSGal

jungo:

Yes, I'm serious.  Check your Inbox at the top of this page for directions where to send the file.

TSGal
              FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: performance issues -
                jungovox

Thank YOU TsGal -

I have emailed you a zipped copy of our in-field ordering system - apppreciate it.

• 5. Re: performance issues -
                  TSGal

jungo:

I received your file.  Thank you.

After launching on a Mac, i accessed the file remotely from another Mac.  It took 10 seconds to open as the screen displayed the number of records being replaced.  Using FileMaker Go on an iPad, it took 34 seconds to open, also displaying the number of records being replaced as it was opening.  With an iPod touch, it took 65 seconds to open.  These times are normal, as the overwhelming majority of this time is due to the Replace command.

On a side note, in the "On Open" script, you call "12 Sales/BO Set".  Inside this script, near the end, you call "ST - Grab Brand PG", and when you return to "On Open" script, you call "ST - Grab Brand PG" again.  This is definitely not a time factor as the script only evaluates a field and performs a find.  However, I just wanted to point out that the script is being called a second time unnecessarily.

TSGal
                  FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: performance issues -
                    jungovox

Thanks so much for looking at this  and confirming the performance times - as well as the double script in my code - ... REALLY appreciate your time. -