1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 17, 2012 11:55 AM by TSGal

pop-up / open a pdf from a container field using a variable

linuxpad

Title

pop-up / open a pdf from a container field using a variable

I am looking to pop-up or open a pdf file using a stored container field.  What I would like to do is make a certain pdf file pop-up once the id(number) has been typed into a field.  The user would then be required to read and close out the pdf file before they can go on to the next field.

The number field called portal::s_number I am referencing is in a portal, but all the pdf files are not in this field.  

They are in another table and field called documents::pdfs.  I have another id field called pdf_number, this is the field I am referencing to open the document.

So basically when portal::s_numer =2, then open documents::pdf_number=2..  I only want to open specific pdf's.  So if a users types 4, nothing will happen if there is not a pdf.

From my understanding so far it appears I will need to use the export field contents in a script just not sure how..

I need help with setting and passing the variables..  

Any help would be greatly appriciated..

JP

• 1. Re: pop-up / open a pdf from a container field using a variable
          TSGal

Jason Larson:

Thank you for your post.

If the Container field is in another table, you may want to consider using the script step: Go to Related Record

Once you are in the Related Record, you can use the script step:

Export Field Contents

In the Output File Path List above, you must set up a valid path first before using a variable.  Also, be sure to check the option "Automatically open file".

It may be easier to post the script you have now, along with what barriers you are encountering when the script executes.

TSGal
               FileMaker, Inc.