11 Replies Latest reply on Oct 21, 2010 11:12 AM by cmspe

Pop-up menu problems

cmspe

Title

Pop-up menu problems

On my layout, I have a pop-up menu and a portal.  In filemaker, I can select the choice in the pop-up menu and there's a script trigger, which, upon modifying, makes the portal active.  In FM GO, instead of making the portal active, it goes right back to making the pop-up menu active.  Is there a way of getting around this?

• 1. Re: Pop-up menu problems
          davidhead

Hi cmpse

Can you post the script steps you are using in the script trigger? What is the step that "makes the portal active"?

Presumably this is an OnObjectModify trigger set on the field with the pop-up menu?

TS_Oz, FileMaker Inc.

• 2. Re: Pop-up menu problems
            cmspe

The script step is Go To Portal Row [First].  This at least keeps the keyboard from staying open in FM Go.  I want to make the portal active so that it is easier to scroll through the portal.  It is a little difficult to touch the scroll bar to activate it and the rest of the portal row is a button.  It is setup on an OnObjectModify trigger on the field with the pop-up menu.

• 3. Re: Pop-up menu problems
              TSGal

cmspe:

Thank you for your post.

I am unable to replicate the problem.  I have a sample file with a portal (Invoices showing LineItems).  I created a Text field displayed as a Pop-up menu with the values "Yes" and "No".  I created a script "Go to Portal" with the script step:

Go to Portal Row [ Select ; First ]

I set a Script Trigger for the Text field OnModifyObject, execute the script "Go to Portal".

On the Mac, this works correctly when I switch from "Yes" to "No" (or "No" to "Yes").  I then accessed the file remotely using FileMaker Go, and it works correctly.  I also downloaded the database file to my iPad and iPod touch, and FileMaker Go on both devices works correctly.

Let me know what I'm doing differently than you.

TSGal
              FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Pop-up menu problems
                cmspe

Let me get a little more detailed now.  On my layout, I have the pop-up menu that also acts like a filter for the portal.  The database is being used in school and the portal displays a list of students per teacher per period.  The pop-up menu is the field for the period.  When I select the period, the portal changes to view that specific class.  For a split second, the first portal row is selected and then the portal refreshes itself, or something like that, and then the portal is no longer active (ie the scroll bar is not active for scrolling).  Currently, the keyboard isn't popping up neither am I going back to the pop-up menu, but the portal is not active which is what I want.

• 5. Re: Pop-up menu problems
                  TSGal

cmspe:

Thank you for the additional information.

The Go to Portal Row is working first before the screen refresh.  Therefore, insert a Refresh Window command before the Go to Portal Row.  That is,

Refresh Window [ Flush cached join results ; Flush cached external data ]

Once the data is refreshed, then you can access the Portal.

TSGal
                  FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: Pop-up menu problems
                    cmspe

That worked great, but one other thing.  When I select the period, the window refreshes and then selects the first portal row, but the pop up/keyboard (not sure what it's called) stays up, blocking half of my screen.  It's not a big deal, but is it possible to have it minimize automatically after the portal row is selected?

• 7. Re: Pop-up menu problems
                      TSGal

cmspe:

I am unable to replicate the second problem.  I even tried it with a drop-down field.  Do you have any other script step after the "Go to Portal Row" step?

TSGal
                      FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: Pop-up menu problems
                        cmspe

I have no other script steps after that.  The pop-up that stays up after I select the period is the pop-up, but blank.  There is nothing to select or do except to click the arrow that makes it go back down.

• 9. Re: Pop-up menu problems
                          TSGal

cmspe:

Since I'm unable to reproduce it on my end, it's probably best if you send a clone of your file so I can test it here.  Check your Inbox at the top of this page for instructions where to send the file.

TSGal
                          FileMaker, Inc.

• 10. Re: Pop-up menu problems
                            TSGal

cmspe:

I received your file.  Thank you.

Yes, I can see the differences on the Mac, iPad and iPhone/iPod touch.  To make it work across all three platforms, insert a Commit Records step just before Go to Portal Row.  That is:

Refresh Window [ Flush cached join results ; Flush cached external data ]
                            Commit Records/Requests [ No dialog ]

The lower portion of the keyboard/value list on the iPhone/iPod touch will then be hidden.

TSGal
                            FileMaker, Inc.

• 11. Re: Pop-up menu problems
                              cmspe

That did it.  Thank you very much for your persistence.