8 Replies Latest reply on May 25, 2012 8:26 AM by TSGal

Portal scrolling broken when first opening database?

weetbicks

Title

Portal scrolling broken when first opening database?

Hi guys, hopefully someone can shed some light on this issue or suggest a workaround.

I am building a small FileMaker Go application for iPhone and on the first layout there is a portal showing contacts. When the database first loads it does a startup script that runs some seemingly inoffensive script steps (eg hide status area, lock toolbars etc..) 

When the database first opens and I am presented with this portal, I can begin to scroll through it no problems (love this new FM12 feature of not having to "activate" a portal).  HOWEVER, as soon as I click on a portal row, it immediately jumps to the top of the portal to the first row. After that happens I am free to scroll again and click in any portal i wish. It is only on the very first time the database is opened that I experience this behavior.  it is incredibly frustrating because the whole point is that a user opens the database, scrolls to a contact, and expects to be able to click them, but they have to do this twice.

I have tried numerous things to resolve this such as:

• Going to portal on startup via object name, portal row etc

• Running the script that is activated from within a portal row via the startup script to try and simulate "activating" the portal

Both have failed - it seems to want me to click in it at least once for it to register that it is a portal, or something like that... Once that is done i can even go to other layouts and come back and it works fine.

Any ideas? This is pretty crucial as with this small bug it basically breaks the entire solution from a usability perspective.

• 1. Re: Portal scrolling broken when first opening database?
          TSGal

Daniel Wood:

Thank you for your post.

I am unable to replicate the problem.  Here are the steps I took:

1. I created a database file with two tables, MAIN and PORTAL.

2. In MAIN, I have one Number field "ID".

3. In PORTAL, I have a Number field "ID", and a Text field "Name".

4. I created a relationship between MAIN and PORTAL based on MAIN::ID = PORTAL::ID

5. In PORTAL, I entered 10 records of different names with the same ID (1)

6. In Main, I entered one record with ID=1

7. I created a portal into PORTAL displaying three rows and only displaying "Name".

8. In Browse Mode, I see three records, and I can scroll.

9. I turned on Network Sharing.

10. I created a script that Hid the Status Toolbar and go to layout "PORTAL"

11. I launched FileMaker Go on my iPhone, opened the file, scrolled the list of names, and tapped into the ninth record successfully.

12. I launched FileMaker Go on my iPad, opened the file, scrolled the list of names, and tapped into the ningth record successfully.

13. I closed out the files, connected the iPad to the Mac, launched iTunes, and moved over the database file to the iPad.  I did the same for the iPhone.

14. I launched FileMaker Go, opened the local copy of the file, scrolled the portal, tapped in the eight record successfully.

Let me know what I'm doing differently than you, and I'll continue trying to replicate the issue.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Portal scrolling broken when first opening database?
            weetbicks

hi TSGal,

Thank you for the quick and detailed reply, much appreciated. It's a little tricky to supply an example file given it is a networked solution but here is some more detail which I should have included originally:

1. Database resides on a FileMaker 12 server, and has an external data source of another database file that contains the contacts (the main database contains the home table that has the relationship to contacts

2. On the main layout, I have a tab control object with 3 tabs on it that covers the layout. The portal itself is not actually in the tab control, yet it resides overlaid (or under, not sure which FM does in this case) on the tab control. A new feature of layouts in 12 is that you can have layout objects that are technically not in a tab control, yet they are within the bounds of the tab control object (only moving the portal into the tab will put it in the tab. To do this I placed the portal on the layout and then resized the tab control to cover it - the reasons for this are that I want to change the tab control to show other things on the layout, yet the portal itself is to remain constant - this is so I don't have to put the portal on every tab, and so that ideally I don't lose my scroll position in the portal when the tab changes.

3. The portal has a merge field label in it to display name that is set to the portal rows height/width and acts as a button for the full portal row.

4. The main file has had kiosk mode enabled for non full access accounts, and the file is set to open with a non full access account. The reason for this is so when the solution opens it hides any FM toolbars such as the one where the user can access the FM settings. This is to make it look more like a native app and to remove the "FileMaker element" so to speak.

If I had to put money on it I would imagine it has something to do with the fact the tab control object is over/under the portal and the portal is technically not in the tab control, but it doesn't explain why it only occurs the very first time.  I have tried things on startup such as going to the tab control object iself via go to object but this also does not resolve.

I have attached a screenshot to give you an idea of the basic structure of the layout.

Thanks,

Daniel

• 3. Re: Portal scrolling broken when first opening database?
              weetbicks

Further to the above, I've tested again with it stripped down to the absolute basics, so no tab controls or buttons or anything. Now it is a simple portal on a basic layout with nothing else. It is showing 9 records with scrollbar.  On startup it simply goes to the layout and does nothing else.  I am still getting the same behavior of it jumping to the top of the portal on the very first time , there is also a little "flash" that accompanies it where the portal contents disappear before it jumps to the top if that helps. There is also no sorting or portal-level filtering going on now.

• 4. Re: Portal scrolling broken when first opening database?
                TSGal

Daniel Wood:

At this point, it would probably be easier if you just sent me a copy of the file stripped down with the starting script and some dummy records in the portal.  I will then test it here under different scenarios.  Check your Inbox at the top of this page for instructions where to send the file.

TSGal
                FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: Portal scrolling broken when first opening database?
                  weetbicks

hi TSGal, thanks for the info. The database is currently linked to one of our main solutions but what I will do this evening is import some test records into the file itself and severe that external data source link. If the problem still persists within the file itself once fully self-contained then I'll send it through using the info you provided.

Also of note - I tested this last night on the iPad version of FileMaker Go 12 and the issue is NOT present - it only happens on my iPhone (which incidentally is iPhone 4 running latest os).

Cheers!

• 6. Re: Portal scrolling broken when first opening database?
                    TSGal

Daniel Wood:

As I posted privately, I was able to replicate the problem using your files, and I have sent the information to our Development and Testing departments for review.  I will keep you posted.

TSGal
                    FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: Portal scrolling broken when first opening database?
                      TSGal

Daniel Wood:

Our Testing department would like to get a copy of the file.  Please send the file to the email address provided in the previous private message.

TSGal
                      FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: Portal scrolling broken when first opening database?
                        TSGal

Daniel Wood:

Neither myself nor our Testers are able to replicate the problem here with your file, although they can replicate on your server.  Have you tried a different server, and if so, does the problem continue?

TSGal
                        FileMaker, Inc.