8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 2, 2011 3:46 AM by AndrewBairnsfather

portal scrolling technique

LanceLevine

Title

portal scrolling technique

(My setup: FM Go 1.0.3 on iPhone 4. Using a copy of a database created in FM 10.0v3 on Mac OS X 10.6.4.)

I can't manage to work the scroll bar in any of my portals, and I can't find documentation for how to do so.

If I tap on a field in a portal record, that record and the scroll bar become highlighted ("activated"?). But the scroll bar won't respond, either with the slider or the arrows. What am I missing?

Thanks in advance...

• 1. Re: portal scrolling technique
          TSGal

Lance Levine:

Thank you for your post.

If your portal is set up to have a vertical scrollbar, then it will also display in FileMaker Go.  When you tap the scrollbar, it will become larger, as well as the arrows, so you can easily select them.  If you are still having difficulty, use the two finger expansion to zoom in so you can get a better finger precision and see how it behaves.

Let me know if you continue to have difficulty.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: portal scrolling technique
            LanceLevine

TSGal,

Thanks for responding. I can now get the scrollbars to work, though I always have to zoom in, it almost always takes multiple attempts, and taps to work the scroll bar are frequently misinterpreted as other things. This is THE most difficult control to operate among ALL my iPhone apps.

Other than that, I'm quite happy with FM Go.

Lance

• 3. Re: portal scrolling technique
              ThomasArn

Hi,

I experience the same problem as Lance Levine.

I understand the mechanism to let work the vertical scrollbar of the portal. But it is often necessary to zoom the screen in order to turn on the scroll bar and then it works only after multiple attempts. At the end, when it scrolls, I cannot see the content of the portal, because the zoom is set to the scrollbar...

I believe that there is room for improvement. I. e. I suggest that in the iPhone version it should scroll always by finger movement, independently of the scrollbar (remember: the scroll bar comes from the mouse movement, the iPhone "user interface with fingers" is different than a "mouse interface"!)

• 4. Re: portal scrolling technique
                TSGal

Thomas Arn:

Thank you for your post.

I encourage you to enter this suggestion into our Feature Requests web form at:

http://www.filemaker.com/company/contact/feature_request.html

The entries into this web form are read by our Development and Product Management departments where they are discussed and considered for a future release.  Although I could copy your post and paste it into the web form, there are a couple of questions asked that only you can answer.

TSGal
                FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: portal scrolling technique
                  AndrewBairnsfather

Thanks TSGal for the link.

I too am modifying relational databases for use on iPad and iPhone and find my portals are remarkably difficult to interact with and I have to zoom in like crazy. 

My thoughts were to take advantage of multi-finger swiping. One finger swipes the record, two fingers swipes the portal.

I don't think FMP's portal scrollbars have changed since HyperCard! :-) 

Also, I think it would be a good idea to have some built in layouts for iPad and iPhone so we just have to click to add such a layout or modify a duplicated layout.

TIA!

• 6. Re: portal scrolling technique
                    rgordon

Lance, try this.  Give the portal an object name.  Then create a button called Scroll and attach the Go to Object script step to the button.  Touch the button to activate the small scroll bar.  This will allow you to easily scroll through the portal by flicking your finger on the portal.

• 7. Re: portal scrolling technique
                      TSGal

Andrew Bairnsfather:

Thank you for your post.

The best place to enter this suggestion (two-finger swipe) is in our Feature Requests web form at:

http://www.filemaker.com/company/contact/feature_request.html

The entries into this web form are read by Development and Product Management where the suggestions are discussed and considered for a future release.  I know I can easily copy your post and paste it into the web form, but there are a couple of questions asked that only you can answer.

TSGal
                      FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: portal scrolling technique
                        AndrewBairnsfather

Thanks  TSGal. I'll double-check that I sent that idea.

In the meantime what I did was to create a bunch of white space in the portal record, this allowed me to select it, then I could swipe it.  

As you can probably guess my portal records were wall-to-wall fields. :-)

When I get back to my desktop I'll try rgordon's suggestion.