1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 22, 2012 6:17 AM by disabled_JackRodgers

Precise Steps for FileMaker Go

GovtLawyer

Title

Precise Steps for FileMaker Go & Pro Updating - Needed

I have a FileMaker Pro 11 database which I am also using on my iPad2.  The method for keeping both up to date will be by copying the latest file over the less recent one.  I am using iTunes for the copying.

However, the directions in both the Pro & Go help files leave a question unanswered.  Below is how I intend to copy the files and what I perceive as the problem.

I understand the process is not synchronization!

I enter data in my iMac Filemaker Pro.  I use iTunes and in the App section of my iPad2 account I go to the Share files.  I find FileMaker and add the file by finding it on my Mac and adding it to iTunes.  VOILA - I now have the exact same file on both my Mac and iPad.

Let's assume I take the iPad into the field and change or add data.  If I connect the iPad2 to iTunes and use Save to, it copies my latest file, with the new data on the iPad2, over the original one - preserving the changes.  

Suppose I used the database on the iPad for just information and made no changes at all.  If I made changes on the iMac and want them reflected on the iPad, I'm unsure about one thing.  When I go to iTunes and connect my iPad, the file in the FileMaker Go sharing section is the file from the day before.  How does that file get updated? Does closing FileMaker always update the file in iTunes?  Does adding the file to a device automatically add the latest file?  If not, do I have to delete the file in iTunes and add the latest?  I would hate to use iTunes to copy an outdated file to my iPad.

Thanks for your help.

• 1. Re: Precise Steps for FileMaker Go & Pro Updating - Needed

This method of overwriting files always has the danger of human error (so does scripting!).

The best method of syncing would be using scripts and a wi-fi or internet connection to your desktop. Then you click a button and the two files are synced (modified data in records or new records added). GoZync has a plugin for this or your could script your own synch.

iTunes when copying Filemaker files using the apps area offers the option of overwriting or adding as a copy (1,2,3 etc). A dialog pops up asking Cancel, Replace or Don't Replace. The logic is a bit unusual since Cancel and Don't Replace seem to do the same thing: close the dialog and do not replace the file.

So your only concern is whether or not to replace the file with a file of the same name and this is where human error can occur since you can forget which is the latest version or you can accidently click on the wrong button using the desktop instead of the IOS device.

Since you have to be connected via cable or wifi to replace the databases, creating a safe and reliable method of syncronizing them without swapping would be preferable. If you have multiple devices this becomes a nightmare of options and one that I am considering using related tables rather than field updates. Often you do not want to replace data in a field but create a new related record instead.