6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 31, 2013 2:23 AM by paulpuk

print script button with Filemaker Go

paulpuk

Title

print script button with Filemaker Go

Hi, I've a working database on a mac running 10.6.8 and Filemaker Pro 12. It has a print script on the mac that is invoked when a button is pressed/clicked, and the script is set to ignore print dialog boxes and just print - this works just fine from the mac.

However, when I log in to the same database via Filemaker Go on an ipad, and click the very same "print" button - the dialog boxes for choosing printer settings and choosing printer always show up before I can print.

The mac will also let me set as default the "print current record" option, but the ipad won't.

The database is a school reception entry system that automatically prints a visitor card, and is supposed to be a foolproof system.

Does anyone please know if there's a documented method of allowing the ipad to follow the script (like the mac does) and not show the dialog boxes?

The possibility of setting the ipad to default to "print current record" instead of seemingly "print found set" (which is always set) would also be very helpful.

Receptionist printing lots of records each time a visitor arrives is a pain, and we've had to revert to using a mac until I can resolve this hopefully for ipad!

My apologies if this is basic, just hoping that somebody here will be able to point me toward a solution.

Thanks in advance,  Paul

• 1. Re: print script button with Filemaker Go
          TSGal

paulpuk:

Thank you for your post.

From your description, it sounds like you have "Perform without dialog" selected.  However, if the selected printer cannot be found in iOS, then the dialog box will appear.  Verify that the same printer is being used.  Try printing manually to that printer under FileMaker Go.

Keep me updated with any progress.

TSGal
               FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: print script button with Filemaker Go
            paulpuk

TSGal, Thanks for the suggestion.

Just double checked, and the ipad does indeed print from filemaker go after going through the two print dialog boxes.

It is definitely the same printer used from the filemaker mac, we only have one printer setup to work with airprint, which is what the ipad wants.

Paul

• 3. Re: print script button with Filemaker Go
              TSGal

paulpuk:

Try creating a separate script that only contains the step "Print [ No dialog ]".  Then, execute this script in FileMaker Go.  What occurs?

TSGal
                   FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: print script button with Filemaker Go
                paulpuk

No, still the same result, ok with the laptop no dialog boxes, but still getting them on the ipad.

Thanks, Paul

• 5. Re: print script button with Filemaker Go
                  TSGal

paulpuk:

My apologies.  The information I provided was incorrect.

I finally got access to an AirPrint printer, and I'm able to replicate the issue.  That is, the printer dialog box does appear under iOS.  I met with a FileMaker Go tester who confirmed the issue.  The print command is handed over to Apple iOS, and currently, the print dialog box cannot be bypassed.

I apologize for wasting your time.

TSGal
                       FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: print script button with Filemaker Go
                    paulpuk

TSGal,

No need to apologise to me for that!  I appreciate you taking time to check it out .

Perhaps this will get resolved in future but, for now, we'll just have to work-around it.

Thanks,  Paul