6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 16, 2014 2:47 AM by SueBenford

Printed page different from iPad to iMac

SueBenford

Title

Printed page different from iPad to iMac

Can anyone help please?  I set up a printed order page from the iMac which prints great but when I try to print the same page to the same printed from the iPad the top and left margins are too deep and it goes on two pages - how do I change these margins when printing from the iPad - shouldn't it all just be the same??

• 1. Re: Printed page different from iPad to iMac
          TSGal

Sue Benford:

Thank you for your post.

What Paper Size are you using?  Are you printing all records or current record?  What is the orientation?  What is the Maximum Image DPI setting?   If you select PDF -> View, does it look correct?  What font(s) are you using?

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Printed page different from iPad to iMac
            philmodjunk

Margin settings can be specified in Layout Setup on the printing tab. This can often be a good way to get a layout that has the same margins even when you change printers. (And while you are printing to the same device, you are using a different printer driver to print to it and that might be the cause of this difference.)

• 3. Re: Printed page different from iPad to iMac
              SueBenford

I am using A4 portrait and printing current record.  It prints the same page exactly the same from iMac and iPad and prints to the same printer so same drivers but the top/left margins are bigger on the iPad page which I can't seem to be able to change.  I can't see why if I'm using the same layout, sending to the same printer why it would print differently on the iPad?  The only way I can see at the moment how to change it is to change the layout to print ok from the iPad but then this wouldn't print correctly from the iMac?  Surely it should be the same?

• 4. Re: Printed page different from iPad to iMac
                TSGal

Sue Benford:

It sounds like the printer driver under iOS is slightly different than the printer driver under Mac OS X.  Which printer is it (make, model, etc.)?  In the mean time, you may want to duplicate the layout and use one for printing from Mac OS X, and the other from iOS.

TSGal
                FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: Printed page different from iPad to iMac
                  philmodjunk

The following info may or may not be helpful to you.

When you set up a layout to be printed, if you do not use Layout set up to specify fixed page margins, the margin between the left edge of the printed page and the edge of your layout is determined by the printer driver. It "fits" the output from filemaker into the upper left limits of how close that driver can print to the edges of the page. fairly few printers can print "full bleed" edge to edge on a page. So you might have a very few fractions of an inch space between the top edge of the page and the start of your output and some larger space between the left edge and the start of your output in most printers.

But if you go to layout setup and specify a margin that is larger than these typical limits such as at least a half inch for top and side margins, the output from FIleMaker is supposed start that specified distance from the edge of the physical page. This then is supposed to allow your output to come out consistently  on a wide variety of printers even though the "max printable area" will vary from one printer to another and (possibly) from one printer driver to another.

• 6. Re: Printed page different from iPad to iMac
                    SueBenford

Thank you for your help everyone.  I will see if I can sort it out now.