1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 21, 2010 8:05 PM by ChristianBoyce

Problem opening emailed files with FileMaker Go

ChristianBoyce

Title

Problem opening emailed files with FileMaker Go

I sent myself an email with a small FileMaker document as an attachment and opened the email with my iPhone. The attachment appears to be a FileMaker file (has the right icon) but when I tap it the file does not open. 

I have no problems opening FileMaker files that are on served on my network, and I have no problems opening the "Sample Inventory" file that comes with the FileMaker Go download. I just can't open FileMaker files that I've emailed (nor, if you read my previous post, files that are in Dropbox).

Any tips? Has anyone actually done it?

• 1. Re: Problem opening emailed files with FileMaker Go
          ChristianBoyce

Well, I figured it out: tap and HOLD on the emailed attachment, until you get an "Open in FileMaker Go" button. Tap that button and it opens. I think it should work when you tap on the icon of the attachment, like a PDF or a Word document do.

I figured it out by watching the FileMaker Go demo infomercial again. At 2:23 it shows an attachment being opened. However, since in the infomercial the "Open in Filemaker Go" button just sort of magically appears at the bottom of the email-- there's no finger shown-- it took some head scratching to figure it out. Yes, I believe that is somewhat standard behavior for an attachment, but why not show a finger doing the tapping? (And why not just open the file when I tap it, rather than require this tap-and-hold-and-then-tap-the-button method?)