1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply on Nov 24, 2014 8:15 AM by TSGal

Problem sending email to multiple recipients

fj

Title

Problem sending email to multiple recipients

Hi,

Currently, I am running a file on the iPad that converts a record to PDF and sends an email with the attached PDF to multiple recipients.

The problem that I am facing is that random people in the list are not receiving the email (around 3/4 people). The rest of the people are getting the email. The email is being sent to around a total of 15 people.

I am sending the email using SMTP server and the list of email addresses have been added as a calculation.

Why is this problem occurring and what is the solution? 

• 1. Re: Problem sending email to multiple recipients
          TSGal

f j:

Thank you for your post.

Do you get any error returned from the sending of the mail?  If so, what is the error number?

Is there anything from the mail server that shows the email was not sent?

Are you sending separate emails to the 15 people, or one email addressed to 15 people?  If the latter, what address separator are you using?  Does the mail server accept the separator?

Any other information you can provide may be helpful in narrowing down the possible causes.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Problem sending email to multiple recipients
            fj

No there is no error dialog box popping up when the email is sent.And there is nothing from the mail server either that shows the email was not sent.

The people I talked to told me that they did not get the email, even though in the email that I received I can see their name and correct email addresses.

One email is being sent out to 15 people. I'm using a semi-colon and the mail server accepts this.

• 3. Re: Problem sending email to multiple recipients
              TSGal

f j:

Thank you for the additional information.

If FileMaker Pro is not receiving an error from the mail server, and if the mail server shows the email was sent, there isn't much that can be done from the FileMaker Pro side.

Instead of sending one email, try sending 15 separate emails with the file attachment.  Does this work?

TSGal
              FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Problem sending email to multiple recipients
                philmodjunk

And have your recipients check their Junk mail folders in case a Junk mail filter is filtering it out of their in box.

• 5. Re: Problem sending email to multiple recipients
                  fj

Ok I just checked on the iPad and I noticed that I have received the following email for Delivery Status Notification (Failure):

"Technical details of permanent failure:
                  Internal parse error: Illegal envelope To: address (invalid domain name): "

and 

Google tried to deliver your message, but it was rejected by the server for the recipient domain "

and

"The error that the other server returned was:
                  550-Invalid recipient"

I am certain that the email addresses entered were correct. It'll be a great help if you can guide me through these errors.

Thank you!

• 6. Re: Problem sending email to multiple recipients
                    TSGal

f j:

Somehow, Google mail deems the email address as an invalid domain name.  What is the domain name?  Can you check to see if there are any hidden characters in the email address?  Try performing the step manually.  That is, pull down the File menu and select Send -> Mail.  Enter the email address into the To: field and give it a Subject of "Test".  See if this works.  If so, then remove the old email address and retype the email address back into the field.

TSGal
                    FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: Problem sending email to multiple recipients
                      fj

I tried sending the email out manually and it still gave me the same error.

• 8. Re: Problem sending email to multiple recipients
                        TSGal

f j:

Do all emails have the issue or just a specific email?  If a specific email, do you see anything out of the ordinary?  For example, is the domain name different from the other domain names?  What are the domain names for the successful messages?

TSGal
                        FileMaker, Inc.

• 9. Re: Problem sending email to multiple recipients
                          fj

On the first try, only a few email addresses had an issue but the rest of the email addresses received the email successfully.

On the second try, all the email addresses failed to receive the email.

The domain name is the same for all the emails. Since the email is sent internally within the company, the company's domain name is being used. 

• 10. Re: Problem sending email to multiple recipients
                            TSGal

f j:

Again, try sending an email individually.  If that fails, let me know the error.  This will let me know how to proceed next.

TSGal
                            FileMaker, Inc.

• 11. Re: Problem sending email to multiple recipients
                              fj

Ok I will test that out.

• 12. Re: Problem sending email to multiple recipients
                                fj

Ok so I'm sending out individual emails to the 15 people. And the same people who weren't getting the email before, are still not receiving the email. The problem is persistent with those specific email addresses even though they have the same domain name. I am getting the same error as before:

Google tried to deliver your message, but it was rejected by the server for the recipient domain.

The error that the other server returned was:

550-Invalid recipient "

• 13. Re: Problem sending email to multiple recipients
                                  TSGal

f j:

If the same people aren't receiving the emails, then there is something specific about those addresses.  I would check with the IT department and find out why the SMTP mail server shows the email addresses as invalid.  They may be able to provide some insight.

TSGal
                                  FileMaker, Inc.

• 14. Re: Problem sending email to multiple recipients
                                    fj

Hi,

Were you able to check with the IT department regarding the SMTP server mail issue?

Thanks!

1 2 Previous Next