6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 11, 2014 10:52 AM by philmodjunk

Problem with Date Field in Find Mode

algae592002

Title

Problem with Date Field in Find Mode

I set up a button to trigger Find Mode for a Filemaker Go iPad file. All seems to work well, except when I input a date in the Date field. As soon as I select a date, the file closes.

I've checked the type of keyboard assigned to the field, have tried the find with both user profiles to see if the privileges each as makes a difference, but so far nothing has solved the issue.

Anyone had this problem and know how to fix it?

• 1. Re: Problem with Date Field in Find Mode
          philmodjunk

If you create a completely new test file with just a single date field on a single layout, can you enter find mode, select a date in the date picker and perform the find in it? Or does it also crash?

This test can show if there is a problem with your file or if it is with FM GO or the iOS.

• 2. Re: Problem with Date Field in Find Mode
            algae592002

I tried your suggestion and the drop down calendar worked fine in the new file, through the iPad.

I further went back to my file and eliminated a few layout trigger scripts I had, and changed the drop down calendar option into a drop down list containing the field values. This seems to have solved the problem. Now the 3 layouts with the find button are finding without closing the file and filemaker Go.

So I conclude my file has something that triggered it to close, not FM Go or the iOS.

Could there be something else I might have missed?

In any case, thank you for your help and suggestion.

• 3. Re: Problem with Date Field in Find Mode
              SteveMartino

Look at your scripts on the PC or Mac.  For the script steps, on the bottom left, click the drop down 'Show Compatibility' and select IOS.  Any script steps that are not compatible for IOS will gray out (like Enter Preview Mode).

I wonder if a script step that is not compatible for IOS, could cause the file to crash.

• 4. Re: Problem with Date Field in Find Mode
                AppGuy

If you have FM Pro Advanced.. Just open your script debugger and leave it open as you are going through your layout...    This will allow you to walk through any script triggers that may be running..

• 5. Re: Problem with Date Field in Find Mode
                  schamblee

File corrupt can cause the database to crash.  You can run "Recover" in FileMaker to check the file for problems. 

If Recover finds a problem it is recommend to use a older backup copy that doesn't have the problem. 

Unless it is an index problem then it is ok to still use, after Recover has repaired the indexes.

• 6. Re: Problem with Date Field in Find Mode
                    philmodjunk

If you have FM Pro Advanced.. Just open your script debugger and leave it open as you are going through your layout...    This will allow you to walk through any script triggers that may be running..

Umm yes, but not when using FM GO on an iOS device. wink

One then has to use other methods such as setting up a global text field and adding numerous set field steps that append data to the text in the global field so that you can trace back the details of your script execution.