12 Replies Latest reply on Jul 1, 2014 3:11 PM by bigtom

Product Catalog

Claire_2

Title

Product Catalog

I have a product catalog created & managed on my macbook.

I have 3 users who access the catalog on their i-phones / i-pads, so have downloaded filemaker go & added my macbook as the host.

Works brilliantly when we are all in the office using the same wifi. Out of the office it won't load.

Is there a setting I've missed or is this a performance issue?

Also if I don't have the file open on my macbook, no one can access it. So the file always needs to be open & my computer running in order to access it on filemaker go?

• 1. Re: Product Catalog
          TSGal

Claire:

Thank you for your post.

From your description, it sounds like the network is limited to the local area network.  Outside the local area network, after launching FileMaker Go, are you able to access the IP Address of your MacBook?  Does the MacBook have a static IP Address?  Are external desktop machines able to access machines in the local area network?  If not, is there a firewall turned on for the network?

If a file is being hosted, it must be open for others to access it, whether it is FileMaker Pro or FileMaker Go.

TSGal
               FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Product Catalog
            bigtom

Sounds like you might not have a static IP for your MacBook and the there is no way for any of the devices to connect especially if you take the MacBook out of the office.

If the MacBook is staying in the office just get a static IP, setup a port forward or port mask in your modem/router and you are good to go. For simplicity you can setup a domain that points to the office IP so the users do not need to be confused with an odd IP address and port entry. This does require the file to be opened as remote when out of the office and local when in the office. Once it is setup FM Pro and FM Go resolve the port on their own and it works well. There is a way to make this work with a dynamic IP, but trust me the few dollars a month to your ISP is the easier way to go. Depending on your provider you may already have a static IP and not know it.

If you are using FM13 you really should invest in some sort of modestly priced computer (used works) that will act as a server that always stays in the office and has a dedicated IP if you need access from outside. We ran running FM Pro to host a file with FM12. FM13 dropped the number of connections when hosted from FM Pro and we decided to move to FMS13. It was costly with the price of the FMS software and a base MacMini. FMS is much more stable and much faster all around. If you can justify the cost I would recommend going with FMS.

We would have been quite content to  continue using FM12, but the clear fact is we use iPads heavily and with iOS device and OS changes FM12 may likely start to have problem with new devices or iOS updates. This was the main reason we made the move. Do not get me wrong. We went into it kicking ad screaming about having to spend more money.  All said and done the iPads work faster and the server is more stable that hosting from the client.

I know FM Pro is not cheap either. But, if your FM solution provides you a means to make more than $650 a year, which I am sure it should, The annual licensing program is the way to go especially if you ever decided to grow with more users.

• 3. Re: Product Catalog
              Claire_2

Cheers Tom, legend.

It'd be great to see this type of info in the training videos, or in the promotional vids, showing exactly how companies use the software. It's really helpful.

We bought 12 just before 13 came out, so now we have new ipads and ipods accessing FM Pro 12 files with FM Go 13. Ideally that doesn't cause us issues.

We'll see how we go.

• 4. Re: Product Catalog
                bigtom

We considered going the route you are now, but the database is a core part of our operation, also a product catalog, and it did justify the cost for us in the end.

If you need any further info just ask. The community is pretty good.

FM documentation is pretty lacking in a number of areas.

• 5. Re: Product Catalog
                  TSGal

Tom Oathoudt:

Thank you for your comments.

Our Documentation team is looking at ways to improve the documentation.  We would appreciate your feedback on what areas you feel are "lacking".

TSGal
                       FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: Product Catalog
                    bigtom

Filemaker 13 ODBC JDBC Guide page 7 lists FM Pro 13 as allowing 9 connection when it is actually 5. This error also appears in a few other documents. This caused serious issues when we were looking at upgrading and the error made me angry.

The MySQL OBDC interaction does not require 5.6 and work well with 5.5. Maybe it is just not supported by FM support if there is ever an issue. This caused me to spend a lot of time to get Filemaker to work with our existing database which needed a change to 5.6. As a shot in the dark I just set it up with MySQL 5.5 and it works fine.

Plugins....Zero documentation. As a product that relies almost solely on developers creating usable solutions, providing information on how developers can create plugins should be heavily documented.

Documentation for many things is just lacking actual usable info that people need. Function usage is one of them. Not nearly enough examples to cover what some functions are actually capable of. I should never need to go to the community to ask "what exactly can this function do?", but I have had to do it because the documentation is so weak.

Maybe I will start keeping a log of anything that has bad info and send it in. Not sure they really care because the FM13 connections error is something I reported months ago and it is still not corrected.

• 7. Re: Product Catalog
                      TSGal

Tom Oathoudt:

Thank you for the feedback.  I have sent most of it to the Documentation manager.  Specifically,

Page 7 of the ODBC/JDBC Guide is definitely incorrect.  I'm not sure what other documents are incorrect.

FileMaker is tested with a number of different products.  For instance, MySQL 5.5 was tested.

The Plug-in documentation in Help does point to an example file that doesn't exist.  The SDK for creating plug-ins can be downloaded through the Technologies page at:     http://www.filemaker.com/support/technologies/     The files are well-documented.  What would you like to see?  For example, should we include a tutorial for building a sample plug-in?

Which functions would you like to see more examples?

TSGal
                           FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: Product Catalog
                        Claire_2

I'm in a different boat to Tom in that we're small, I definitely won't bring a developer in, the idea was I would manage filemaker. In the past I've worked extensively with database software, specifically working with R & D departments developing software for production departments.

Filemaker has been so simple & so complicated at the same time. I read all of the notes & watched a lot of videos, on youtube & via the filemaker website. The most useful thing to me has been this forum. Watching the videos on how other companies use filemaker wasn't a great help. Everyone's needs (and teams, skillsets) vary.

I'd suggest ranking the training documentation, for someone who has used design programs, designing a layout is intuitive & doesn't need a tutorial. In the same way it will never be easy for someone who isn't technical to create a plugin or script. Setting up a static IP for remote access is also more complicated, looks like for us we won't be able to access our files remotely until I purchase a second machine for the static IP, and also upgrade software. This is disappointing. Make this type of info much much clearer.

Cheers

• 9. Re: Product Catalog
                          TSGal

Claire:

Thank you for the feedback.  Your comments have also been forwarded to the manager of our Documentation.

TSGal
                               FileMaker, Inc.

• 10. Re: Product Catalog
                            bigtom

Finding the plugin SDK info was not easy for me and it should be a lot more prominent to developers. A tutorial would be a great thing to have.

The documentation at http://www.filemaker.com/support/technologies/sql.html seems to suggest the only version of MySQL that will work with FM13 is 5.6.11.

The Filemaker Training series makes me wonder why anyone decided to spend time on it. Honestly, Filemaker is so dynamic and there is so much to take in using a PDF seems like not the best idea. Filemaker should be presenting instructions with videos along side the text.

I still learn the most from the most basic users. A user should not need to know nothing about FM to use it fully. Filemaker seems to have this idea in the forefront for now which is good.

For Claire, understanding how networks need to connect to clients locally and remotely is second nature to a people with modest education about computers. I do understand there are many users who do not understand this. Without an explanation of how this works or what you will need it is fair to assume that you should be able to just install the software and remote connections would work. This is not the case. I would not consider setting up a basic server and static IP advanced in any way, but if you do not know how it works or that it is needed you will get frustrated.

• 11. Re: Product Catalog
                              TSGal

Tom Oathoudt:

My apologies.  FileMaker Pro was certified with MySQL 5.6.11 Community Edition.  Please let me know what changes you performed that made MySQL 5.6 fail where it worked in MySQL 5.5.

Thanks for your other comments.

TSGal
                                   FileMaker, Inc.

• 12. Re: Product Catalog
                                bigtom

Sorry for the confusion. I never used 5.6.11. We have a database running MySQL 5.5.

The main problem is the documentation leads people to believe that Filemaker will only connect with MySQL 5.6.11, which is not the case.

Changing from 5.5 to 5.6.11 became something we could not do without considerable expense that was not justified or a serious downgrade in the database server speed. Since there is no documented mention of Filemaker being compatible with 5.5, and 5.6.11 was the only version documented to work, I was about to give up on being able to connect the two databases.

I decided to setup a test environment connecting to 5.5 just to see what happened. It is working fine so for without any issues that I have found.