2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 27, 2012 7:27 AM by TSGal

Question About Excel Database and Custom Applications

KeithMarshall

Title

Question About Excel Database and Custom Applications

I just found the site and wanted to ask a semi techincal question. The site says the develop package allows more flexibility. I run a grocery delivery service and I desperately need a software/barcode reader solution to prevent mistakes in items ordered by the customer. I wanted to know a few things. 1. Can I load my excel grocery items database and just scan the barcodes in as i walk through the aisles to prepopulate my spreadsheet with UPC codes. 2. Can I take a shopping list that is generated by my website in excel and shop for the items and have the filemaker check off the things I get as I scan them and tell me if I scanned something in wrong? And help would be greatly appreciated as the other solutions are way expensive!

• 1. Re: Question About Excel Database and Custom Applications
          TSGal

Keith Marshall:

Thank you for your post.

There are several posts on this forum regarding using a CNS Barcode with FileMaker Go.  You may want to visit the following link as it walks you through setting up the barcode scanner with FileMaker Go:

http://www.cnsplug-ins.com/iOS/CNS_Barcode/tools

You could create a script after using the barcode scanner to look up the item in a table, and if not found, display a message.  The script would have to be created in FileMaker Pro before transferring it to FileMaker Go.  The same would apply for importing an Excel file.

Let me know if you need additional clarification.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Question About Excel Database and Custom Applications
            TSGal

Keith Marshall:

I received your email.

To create scripts, pull down the Scripts menu and select the first option "Manage Scripts...".  In the "Manage Scripts" window that appears, click "New" in the bottom left corner.  All of your scripts steps appear in the left column.  Double-clcik the script step to have it appear on the right side.

Let me know if you run into any difficulty.

TSGal
            FileMaker, Inc.