7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 27, 2010 8:16 PM by alanfink@comcast.net

Question on Preview Mode lack of support

alanfink@comcast.net

Title

Question on Preview Mode lack of support

First off, I am so happy to see FM on Ipad.  Thank you FMI.

With the lack of preview mode support in FM Go, I am not able to do much in the way of sub summarized data reports with grouping and totals on data.  How do you experienced FM developers see this limitation effecting you?

Trying a layout report on the Ipad with 3 sub summary levels and a trailing grand total area, I get one page for each individual record.  This is a pretty big limitation I think.  Am I missing something here?  I need the ability to have preview reports that are useful on grouped levels with subtotals and grand totals. 

Thanks

• 1. Re: Question on Preview Mode lack of support
          TSGal

amf:

Thank you for your post.

In the bottom left corner of the screen, tap the Layout icon and select the Layout used for the Sub-summarized report.  Then, tap the icon in the lower right corner (horizontal lines with a magnifying glass) and select "Sort Records...".  Select the 3 sub-summary fields you want to sort by and click Apply.  You should now see the data presented with the Sub-summary information.

Let me know if you need clarification for any of the above steps.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Question on Preview Mode lack of support
            alanfink@comcast.net

TSGal

Thanks for your reply.  Sorry for the delay reply, but I have been on vacation.

When trying to use the sort records icon as you posted about, it appears that the available fields to choose from are only those listed on the current layout and not necessarily the current table.  This seems to be different than FM Pro.  My layout preview report in FM Pro uses a sort field that does not appear on the report layout.  I can not choose this field.

p.s.  I would have responded sooner on vacation, but I only had my Ipad with me.  The FM Forum does not allow an Ipad user to enter text into the reply field when trying to reply to a post.  Have you tried this?

Thanks again

Alan

• 3. Re: Question on Preview Mode lack of support
              TSGal

amf:

Thank you for the clarification.

Yes, it appears you cannot sort by a field that is not on the layout.  I have reported this to our Development and Software Quality Assurance (Testing) departments for review and confirmation.  I will keep you posted as information becomes available to me.

As a possible workaround, put that field on the layout and make it hidden.  That way, the field will then be included in the sort.  Or, if you are connecting as a guest to a FileMaker Pro file, include a script that sorts by that field and then execute that script in FileMaker Go.

TSGal
              FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Question on Preview Mode lack of support
                alanfink@comcast.net

TSGal:

Yes, I do have a script that sets the sort field from the other table, and that provides the functionality of correct sort.  But my report does not work as intended due to sub summary limitations without preview mode.

My report has 3 sub summary and 1 Trailing Grand Summary section for aggregation.  Without preview mode support, its a 27 page report on FM Go vs a 2 page on FM Advanced.
                Thanks
                Alan
                • 5. Re: Question on Preview Mode lack of support
                  TSGal

amf:

I have set up a report with no Body part and the report displays the Sub-Summary and Grand Summary.  The 178 records now display 6 lines of data; both on the Mac and FileMaker Go.

Can you describe your layout in more detail?  Do you have some screenshots?  Perhaps it would be easier to send in your database file so I can see the problem.  Check your Inbox at the top of this page for instructions where to send the file.

TSGal
                  FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: Question on Preview Mode lack of support
                    TSGal

amf:

I received your file.  Thank you.

You don't need Preview support.  The file displays the same in List View.  To verify, open the file in FileMaker Go, perform the same steps, but select the "Sales by Model Report" layout, and turn on List View.  This shows me exactly what is displayed in Preview mode on the Mac.  Let me know if you are unable to reproduce.

TSGal
                    FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: Question on Preview Mode lack of support
                      alanfink@comcast.net

TSGal:

Thanks so much.  I feel a bit silly about missing that.  Guess since my non iPad app is all in preview mode for displaying report data, I never use list mode!  Indeed this does show same results, but will lack "sliding" features found in preview mode.  I can live with that for the meantime.

Thanks again for your support!

Alan