3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 18, 2012 2:33 PM by TSGal

Quick open of added files in container fields

EvaKiss

Title

Quick open of added files in container fields

Dear All,

Is there a way of opening directly an added file in container fields just with clicking on it? (it is a little bit circuitous to save it before opening it)

Thanks in advance,

Eva  

• 1. Re: Quick open of added files in container fields
          TSGal

Eva Kiss:

Thank you for your post.

What type of file is embedded in the Container field?  For example, is it an Image file?  Movie file?  Sound file?  What occurs when you try to view it full screen?  Is the file local or hosted?  Any other information you can provide would be helpful.

TSGal
               FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Quick open of added files in container fields
            EvaKiss

Thanks for your question.

It would be simple Word or Excel files.

Now if I try to open it first I have to save it and I am able to open just after it. If I choose 'store only a reference' when I add the file then it is possible to open directly but just for me because it is just a reference. The ideal would be if others in our team also would be able to open these files directly. 

• 3. Re: Quick open of added files in container fields
              TSGal

Eva Kiss:

Thank you for the additional information.

Since FileMaker Go doesn't have the ability to launch other non-Apple applications, you must save the file and then open it.

If you want others to open an embedded file, definitely don't store the file as a reference, as others would be unable to access the referenced file.  Instead, embed the file, and then others can save it and open it.

TSGal
                   FileMaker, Inc.