1 2 Previous Next 17 Replies Latest reply on Apr 14, 2016 5:46 PM by rgordon

Record cannot be modified in this window because it is already being modified in another window

roara

Title

Record cannot be modified in this window because it is already being modified in another window

I use Filemaker Go on an Ipad mini Retina and get the above-named error message* randomly. Despite the fact that I activated the options "override ESS locking conflicts" and "skip data entry validation", the error still occurs.

Wipe (and thus terminate) all active Apps resolves the problem temporary. 

Any thoughts?

(*I had to translate the message from my native language, it may therefore differ slightly.)

• 1. Re: Record cannot be modified in this window because it is already being modified in another window
          rgordon

This particular problem has been documented many times across multiple forums.  Unfortunately the FileMaker engineers have not been able to resolve this issue or a few other random problems.  Restarting the iPad appears to be the best temporary solution but it is not a permanent solution since the problem will come back.  Frequent restarting the iPad will probably prevent this from happening. 

• 2. Re: Record cannot be modified in this window because it is already being modified in another window
            TSGal

roara:

Thank you for your post.

The answer by "rgordon" is correct.  To date, we have been unable to replicate this issue, but it appears to happen with users over a long time frame.  Closing and opening the file does not resolve the issue.  FileMaker Go application needs to be restarted.

How long was FileMaker Go open before this issue appeared?  How long was the file open before the issue appeared?  Do you notice if the issue occurs in a specific layout(s)?

If you have a reproducible case, I would definitely like to see it.

TSGal
                 FileMaker, Inc.

• 3. Re: Record cannot be modified in this window because it is already being modified in another window
              user23634

I also get this issue on a couple of iPad 2s. Can't seem to pin it down to a specific action, but as others have said, killing off FMGo and restarting seems to make it all good for a while. The most concerning thing about it is that records don't get saved when its in this state and I have had field people come back complaining that they have not had their work saved.

Really like to see this fixed.

• 4. Re: Record cannot be modified in this window because it is already being modified in another window
                philmodjunk

I've developed a script that appears to detect this "error state" when the file opens. It can't correct the issue but it can pop up a message warning the user to restart the app. (You do not need to restart the device, just FM GO.)

A copy of this script (called "bugcheck") can be imported and adapted from this demo file: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/78737945/DatePickerPopoverDemo.fmp12

• 5. Re: Record cannot be modified in this window because it is already being modified in another window
                  philmodjunk

An entry in the Known Bugs List has been linked to this Issue Report. Any Comments/Questions/Suggested Corrections should be posted here or in a new thread. Please do not post such comments to the Known Bugs List thread.

• 6. Re: Record cannot be modified in this window because it is already being modified in another window
                    rgordon

Phil, very nice calendar popover.  Thank you for posting this.  Can you give a little more detail on how the bug check works?

• 7. Re: Record cannot be modified in this window because it is already being modified in another window
                      philmodjunk

Basically, I've noted four different behaviors that, I think, are linked to FM GO getting trapped in some kind of "State" where any or all of the symptoms listed below may appear:

1.           The above named error message pops up
                      3.           FM GO fails to commit data entered into fields. It may even fail to commit a newly created record back to a hosted file.
                      5.           GetField returns Null instead of the expected value
                      7.           Global fields may end up mysteriously empty. (and this not on a client of a hosted file)

The test zeroes in on the GetField behavior.

As long as there is at least one record in the found set and you refer to a field that auto-enters a value and thus is never empty...

IsEmpty ( GetField ( GetFIeldName ( YourTable::YourField ) ) )

cannot evaluate as True unless GetField returns a null value when it should be impossible for it to do so--and thus the "bug state" is identified when your file opens and you can leave the file open, close and restart FM GO and get returned back to the file you were working with--before this issues screws up your attempts enter/edit data.

But I am working on incompletely tested assumptions here. I will be very interested in seeing any reports where this test failed to detect one or some of the above issues. So far, this test has been 100% consistent for me, but given the random nature of the issue, that may be a case where I've just been lucky.

• 8. Re: Record cannot be modified in this window because it is already being modified in another window
                        rgordon

Phil, I played around with your file for about an hour and had no clue on how the calendar worked. Finally broke down and read the notes. I'm on a plane returning from my presentation at Devcon and I can tell you the calendar file was cooler than anything I saw at Devcon. Had no idea you could set variables in the hide object calc. Good job. I hate the scrolling calendar picker so this is a great alternative. 

• 9. Re: Record cannot be modified in this window because it is already being modified in another window
                          philmodjunk

I've tried to reverse engineer a few demo files from others and the amount of time I spent figuring them out was why I choose to carefully document the design as part of this demo file since there are a number of "hidden parts" to it. It may be fun to "puzzle solve" your way through some one else's file, but oh the time you can waste doing so! wink

I wasn't sure that I could use an expression for "Hide object when" to set variables to values either until I tried it in this demo file. I'd learned from LaRetta here in this forum that you could use this technique with a conditional format expression and so figured that it would also work with the Hide Object When property.

But my biggest fear was that I'd get all of the parts working on my laptop only to see unacceptable delays waiting for the screen to update when I tested it on my iPhone. I was very relieved to find that this wasn't the case.

My original version of this control used a pair of buttons with left and right arrows to tap to move through the months, but then I remembered being able to set up a slider to create a horizontally scrolling list of images in a container field (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/78737945/SwipeablePictureList.fmp12) and since this is a very typical way to move through a sequence of values on an iOS device, I then pulled up that older demo and combined its tricks with what I'd already figured out for my date picker to produce the end result you see in this demo file.

Two cautionary notes not yet included in the demo:

When "tweaking" the size and position of the objects in the middle panel of the slider, it's very easy for some of the objects to "fall through" the slider and become located in the popover frame behind the slider but "showing through". The result looks correct, but it keeps you from being able to "swipe" the slider.

When you paste the popover into another layout, that layout's theme will affect the fill colors, etc of the pasted popover. You may find that you need to select the Slider's "Panel" in a drop down in the inspector's appearance tab and choose no fill colors and no borders before the Date Picker retains the same format as shown in the demo. (But of course you can re-specify the appearance options of each of the parts of the Date picker to suit your preferences and the color scheme of your layout also...)

• 10. Re: Record cannot be modified in this window because it is already being modified in another window
                            robyne

Thank you!  I am looking forward to trying this script as the error is driving me batty.

For the record, when the error goes really bad and actually causes me to loose data (which happens about every 2 weeks), this is the the message I get:

10/10/14 8:42:06.431 AM com.filemaker.messages: 2014-10-10 08:42:06.431 -0400 [OmniORBThread_000000010fe09000] **DBUnlock::Unlock child locks returned error 8000
                            10/10/14 8:42:06.431 AM com.filemaker.messages: 2014-10-10 08:42:06.431 -0400 [OmniORBThread_000000010fe09000] **DBUnlock::Unlock child locks returned error 8000

Yes, I've alerted FM, but their responses are not particularly helpful.

• 11. Re: Record cannot be modified in this window because it is already being modified in another window
                              philmodjunk

FM is having a great deal of trouble reproducing this issue. I check in with TSGal from time to time and I know from private conversations that this is a major concern for them. To date a Project Manager did get this issue once, and that's been about it for tests by FileMaker inc and some of their efforts have been very extensive--opening and closing files 1000's of times on multiple devices with no error occurring.

After extensive testing of multiple files using the BugCheck script to test for the "bug state" that seems to be the underlying cause of this, my experiences suggest that all of the following can be aspects of the same issue:

1) GetField returns null when it should not
                              2) "Record cannot be modified because..." error message
                              3) Date entered or changed in fields are not committed (I've opened a popover, entered data into fields and after closing/reopening the popover, the fields in the popover had reverted to original values.)

Note that both 1 and 3 can result in a loss of data.

And here's what I think is the key detail that makes this one so hard to replicate. To date, once I get one file open with no error detected, I can leave that file open and the error does not occur in any file that I open. I've done this for days on end with no error as long as I keep at least one file open at all times.

This situation seems to occur only when I open a file and there are no other FM GO files already open on that device. Once I open such a lone file and the bug check script detects an issue, then any FM GO file that I open will detect an error and if I try to use any of the files, symptoms 1, 2 and 3 kick in start screwing things up.

• 12. Re: Record cannot be modified in this window because it is already being modified in another window
                                WalterWoods

I too have encountered this error, which occurred only on my iPhone 6, and made the file totally useless.  However this error was accompanied by other obvious anomalies, so I began to suspect that the Go application itself might have become corrupted. I deleted the application, downloaded a new copy, and added the file back in via iTunes.  So far, the error and other anomalies have not recurred and I have been able to use the file without incident. Time will tell if this fix holds. 

• 13. Re: Record cannot be modified in this window because it is already being modified in another window
                                  maripjckmen

I personally think your article is awesome!  I am intrigued with much of your information and am persuaded to agree with you after reading your material.  I'm hoping you'll add more articles on this topic.

• 14. Re: Record cannot be modified in this window because it is already being modified in another window
                                    KevinSmith

FileMaker Go 13.0.5

iOS 8

iPad Air (2013 edition)

Tip: I've developed a test for the problem in my solution. I test for it in the opening script and tell users to restart their device in order to prevent it occurring. User is then forced out of the solution.

How it manifests itself: I can detect it on startup within the first line of the startup script. It occurs after having opened and quit the same solution file a few times. The file is  hosted on a server. 

Fix: I succeed in restoring normal functioning by force quitting FileMaker Go

TSGal please contact me if you have more questions. Thanks Kevin

1 2 Previous Next