11 Replies Latest reply on Apr 27, 2015 4:05 PM by schamblee

Reference a locally stored FM Go solution

mc_1

Title

Reference a locally stored FM Go solution

Hi,

We are running FM Server 13 on a dedicated Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise machine. We also have a few brand new iPad Air 2s, running iOS 8.3 & FM Go 13.0.9.  Right now, our solution is entirely hosted on the server.

I would like each iPad to have a local file which, among other things, will store the pictures taken by that iPad.

To this end, I am attempting to have the hosted solution look for the local solution as an external data source. This has been successful when using a hard-coded full path using the results from a Get(FilePath) on an iPad, but I am having trouble with the relative path syntax.

In testing, "file:~/filename.fmp12" looks in the server's local disk, and fails to find the iPad's local solution. filewin: / filemac: fail as well.

What would be the correct relative path syntax to have a hosted solution use a local FM Go solution as an external data source?

• 1. Re: Reference a locally stored FM Go solution
          schamblee

FMGo can not host a databases.   The iPad can connect to the hosted databases using open remote to store to the picture to the hosted file or you could sync the iPad to the hosted database.  Syncing is not built into FM.   Here is a link to FM Sync guide. http://www.filemaker.com/solutions/ios/docs/fmi_guide_sync_en.pdf   

Seedcode has GoZync  http://www.seedcode.com/filemaker-sync-gozync/

www.FMEasySync.com is free and requires FMS, which you have.

• 2. Re: Reference a locally stored FM Go solution
            mc_1

Perhaps I was unclear.

Our solution is hosted on FM Server and our devices, using FM Go, are connecting to that solution.

I am not having trouble with syncing at the moment, as the data I would like to be stored locally is not terribly time-sensitive, and as such does not really need to be constantly synchronized.

My trouble is that I cannot get our solution, hosted on FM Server, to recognize a solution that is on our FM Go devices as an external data source using a relative path, rather than a full path.

• 3. Re: Reference a locally stored FM Go solution
              schamblee

I read your original post.  FMS nor FM can recognize a database on a FMGo (ios) device because FMGo can not host a database and it can not be used as a external data source.   FMGo has to connect to FMS, then files can be transferred. 

• 4. Re: Reference a locally stored FM Go solution
                mc_1

As I have said, our FM Server solution does indeed recognize our FM Go solution as an external data source when we use the full path retrieved using Get(FilePath). If this is just a strange quirk, and such a useful capability is unintended, I suppose I'm at a loss.

• 5. Re: Reference a locally stored FM Go solution
                  schamblee

That new to me.  What is that full path?   According to FM documentation FMGo can not host a database. 

Get(FilePath)   Returns the full path indicating the location of the currently active database file.   

I believe you are getting a path to a different database than the one that is on the ios device.   
                  • 6. Re: Reference a locally stored FM Go solution
                    mc_1

I'm not sure that a database needs to be hosted in order for it to be used an external data source, if by "hosted" you mean shared, as in other clients can use open remote, etc.

I call Get(FilePath) on FM Go, returning a path like

file:/var/mobile/Containers/Data/Application/996172CD-5B2E-4612-8C7D-6FBFBA8C1C6C/Documents/LocalFile.fmp12

I then change it to

filemac:/var/mobile/Containers/Data/Application/996172CD-5B2E-4612-8C7D-6FBFBA8C1C6C/Documents/LocalFile.fmp12

and use this in my FM Server solution, specifying this path in the server solution's file path list.

Through testing, I am fairly certain it is indeed correctly using the local, unhosted, unshared FM Go solution.

• 7. Re: Reference a locally stored FM Go solution
                      schamblee

Get(FullPath) returns the path relative to the active database so the first path would be correct.  The modified path can not work from the prospective of the server connecting to the database on the device, it would have to be a path on the local machine.   You may have this path in the database on your server but it is only relative to the device that it is running on.   FMS is not using that path to access the database on the device.  That is not a network filepath, there is not one because FMGo can not host a database.    filemac is a local path.  http://www.filemaker.com/help/html/create_db.8.32.html  

There are methods to get photos into your databases on your server, but the server can not connect to FMGo.

• 8. Re: Reference a locally stored FM Go solution
                        mc_1

Perhaps I was unclear.

The second, modified path is working fine, fully functional.  This is the "full" path.

The problem lies with the alphanumeric directory between "application" and "documents" - this has changed on us during testing, seemingly arbitrarily though we were using the exact same file on the exact same device..  As such, we would like a more robust variable/relative method of referencing the file that will always work, on all files and on all devices.

• 9. Re: Reference a locally stored FM Go solution
                          schamblee

The path is not functional, it lets you add as external data source, but it is not a connection to that database it is a path you have given for FM to search for the file.  The file will not be found because it is an invalid filepath.   You can not connect to a database on FMGo from FMS.    It is not possible for FMS or FMP to connect to FMGo.   FMGo can connect to FMS and or FMP.  

• 10. Re: Reference a locally stored FM Go solution
                            mc_1

I am unaware of what equipment you possess, but if you have both a FM Go capable device and FM Server, I invite you to test it for yourself.  It is indeed functional.

On a FM Go capable device:

1.  Connect to a FM Server solution

2.  Go to a layout which has external, local data source fields.

3.  Change some data.

4.  Open the local FM Go file.

5.  Confirm that the changes have been reflected in the standalone, independent, unconnected local file.

• 11. Re: Reference a locally stored FM Go solution
                              schamblee

I have tested.  It doesn't work.  You can not add a FMGo database as an External Data source.  It will not work.