4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 26, 2010 3:11 PM by O.Riaz

Relational Database

O.Riaz

Title

Relational Database

Each time I open a database that references data from additional databases, FM Go requires me to re-select each of the individual files being referenced. This is true even though all of the files are already on the iOS device. Is it possible to avoid "re-selecting" all of the referenced files each time I open the database?

• 1. Re: Relational Database
          TSGal

O. Riaz:

Thank you for your post.

I am unable to reproduce the problem.  This is what I did:

1. I created a database file, A1.fp7, with the following fields:

ID (Text)
          Name (Text)

2. I created a second database file, A2.fp7, with the following fields:

ID (Text)
          Address (Text)

3. I returned to A1.fp7, and created a relationship with A2.fp7 based on the field ID.

4. I created a portal into A2.fp7 on the main layout of A1.fp7.

5. I entered information in both files, and the information displays properly in the portal.

6. I used iTunes and downloaded both A1.fp7 and A2.fp7 to my iPod touch, iPhone, and iPad.

7. On each device, I launched FileMaker Pro, opened A1.fp7, and the information from A2.fp7 displays.

Please let me know what I'm doing differently than you, and I'll try to reproduce the problem.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Relational Database
            O.Riaz

Thank you for looking into this. I can attest that I have followed all of these steps. However, each time I select the file that has related tables (i.e. references from other databases) I get a pop-up message asking me to select the file on the iPhone. Once it is selected, it works fine. However, with more than 10 related tables being referenced for a particular database, it is cumbersome to have to selectr each file each time I use the app. Am I missing something?

Thanks again for the help!

• 3. Re: Relational Database
              TSGal

O. Riaz:

The only way I can see this failing is if your file references are in a different path name from the original file on your Desktop.  Moving this to the iPhone/iPad will then try to use the same file path and since it cannot be found, it will prompt you for the file.  Make sure all of your files on your Desktop are being referenced by name and not by a relative path or IP Address.

TSGal
              FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Relational Database
                O.Riaz

Okay. I was able to correct the issue. As you mentioned, the files must all be copied form the desktop, or at least the same folder. It seems Filemaker Go will not operate correctly unless all Related Tables are within the same path. Once again, thanks for your help.