5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 30, 2011 1:15 PM by philmodjunk

Renaming PDF Files in FM Go

jluca

Title

Renaming PDF Files in FM Go

Hello All, 

In FM Go is there any way to rename a save pdf record???   Everytime I save a current record it name it as the database.

Thanks  

• 1. Re: Renaming PDF Files in FM Go
          TSDuck

Hi jluca:

Thanks for posting.

The Send/Save option used within FileMaker Go will only save the PDF as the database name.  This is document in the article found at http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/7826.  However, you can set up a script in your database which uses the Save Records As PDF, which would allow you to specify a name for the PDF.  Here is an example of the script step.

Save Records As PDF [No dialog, "Contacts.pdf"; Records being browsed]

The section for “Contacts.pdf” could be changed to whatever you want the PDF named.  Let me know if this helps answer your question.

TSDuck

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Renaming PDF Files in FM Go
            jluca

TSDuck Thanks for the post!

Is there a way to make a script the automatic rename the pdf file after a field??

Example:

If I had a field call Vendor name.  Each record would have their own Vendor Name.

When i export the pdf file can it automatic created the file using the vendor name field.   So each time i export a different record the pdf would have a different name.

Thanks

Jluca 

• 3. Re: Renaming PDF Files in FM Go
              philmodjunk

Put the field name in place of "contacts.pdf" in the example (without the quotes). This is a calculation here so you can set up any kind of expression that works with your database.

• 4. Re: Renaming PDF Files in FM Go
                jluca

When selecting specify output file in, saving pdf files, this not a calculation field.   When I write

foreign vendor informatiion 2011::vendor

i get an error. "There problem with file path..."   When i use the "contacts.pdf" works without a problem.

Am i in the right option??  I can't find any other option.    

Thanks

Jluca

• 5. Re: Renaming PDF Files in FM Go
                  philmodjunk

Silly me, I forget a step. To use a calculated field name here, you have assign the value you want to a variable. then you enter the variable in the above dialog box as shown in the last line of example text.

Set field [ $Path ; Value: "File: " & Yourtable::YourField ]

would assign the value to a variable and then you'd enter $Path in the above dialog.