4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 15, 2010 4:47 PM by TSGal

Resizing: iPhone FM Go<>desktop FM Pro

JeffFort

Title

Resizing: iPhone FM Go<>desktop FM Pro

Is there a way to quickly resize what I am looking at?  When I view the file on desktop as opposed to looking at it on iPhone.  A script that changes the size in terms of inches or pixels?  One to use when on Mac, another when on iPhone?

• 1. Re: Resizing: iPhone FM Go<>desktop FM Pro
          tcmeyers

Jeff,

There are probably a number of approaches. One is to use variable-width fields like I think is done in the Sample Inventory example file, but the approach I take is to have completely different layouts for the iPhone and iPad and desktops.

To detect what kind of device is accessing, using a FileMaker script, use a step like this:

If [Left (Get ( ApplicationVersion ); 3) = "Go "]  /* Note the SPACE after Go */

Go to Layout ["iPhone Opening Layout" (table name)]

Else If [Left (Get ( ApplicationVersion ); 8) = "Go_iPad"]

Go to Layout ["iPad Opening Layout" (table name)]

Else

Go to Layout ["Opening Layout" (table name)] /* The normal one for desktops */

End If

That sort of thing can be accomplished a number of ways, but that's a possible start

-Troy

• 2. Re: Resizing: iPhone FM Go<>desktop FM Pro
            JeffFort

Wow, Troy!  Thanks for the response but that kind of scripting is beyond me.  I think FileMaker should anticipate that with the advent of FM Go comes the need to go back and forth between it and FM Pro.  That requires resizing of windows.  I guess I need to do a feature request.

• 3. Re: Resizing: iPhone FM Go<>desktop FM Pro
              tcmeyers

Jeff,

In case you aren't aware of it, you can unpinch-zoom or pinch-shrink, and also double-tap zoom and shrink right on the iPhone screen to look at larger or smaller areas, and scroll up and down or sideways by swiping. It's somewhat difficult to work this way unless you are very familiar with your desktop layout, but it really works fine if you are. I do this for layouts that I haven't had a reason (yet) to redesign to an iPhone-sized one.

Other than using variable-width/height fields and objects, there's really no way FileMaker (the program) can do a better job at this. There's simply no way you can get as much content onto an iPhone screen without redesigning a layout to have just the stuff you need and large enough to work with-- and create other views if you need more detail, focusing on those details.

-Troy

• 4. Re: Resizing: iPhone FM Go<>desktop FM Pro
                TSGal

Jeff Fort:

Thank you for your posts.

The answers provided by Troy Meyers are excellent (Thank you!).  I'll just expand a little bit by directing you to the "FileMaker Go Development Guide" which you can find online at:

http://www.filemaker.com/support/product/docs/filemaker-go/fmgo_development.pdf

This may help you understand what needs to be done to make your forms presentable on an iPhone/iPad plus give you an introduction to scripting.

TSGal
                FileMaker, Inc.