1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 19, 2012 4:46 PM by philmodjunk

Rookie needs clarification

BradMontgomery

Title

Rookie needs clarification

I need a hero. : )   I'm a rookie user and am totally baffled by the descriptions of GO and FMP 12.

I'm currently using FMP 11 ...designed by a pro.  not a huge data base...I'm a two person biz.

Currently my file is in DropBox...and my assistant occationally accesses the file.

If I upgrade to FMP 12 can I just use it on GO?   

But I'm confused about how the syncining or updating takes place if we don't use a filemaker server.   I can live with just being abe to access the database on the iPhone...and not make changes.  

(I think I understand that changes made on the iphone will not make it back to my desktop)  But of course I'd want to make sure that I am seeing the latest changes made on the desktop on the iphone.  

The description mentioned wi-fi syncing...but to be honest I am still in the dark.  How in the heck does it work?

Would anybody be willing to explain in rookie terms how this works?   I'm happy to pay for the upgrade but I'm skittish as I don't understand how it would update, what the downsides are, and what other questions I should be asking.

Thanks so much.  You're making my day.

Brad in Denver

• 1. Re: Rookie needs clarification
          philmodjunk

Currently my file is in DropBox...and my assistant occationally accesses the file.

That can be dangerous to your data ust in FileMaker Pro--let alone using GO. If you and your assitant open the drop box located file at the same time (or nearly so), then save the file back to drop box and saves happen automatically with Filemaker during regular use, each save can overwrite any changes made by the other user.

You may want to look at one of the 3rd party synch tools produced for synchronizing data between GO and Pro. Both 360Works and SeedCode offer such products.