8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 11, 2013 11:52 AM by codecruncher

Runtime and iTunes App Store

rouelf_1

Title

Runtime and iTunes App Store

Maybe not the right place to ask; two questions, if one creates a runtime Filemaker solution that is device aware, e.g. uses appropriate layouts for Windows and OS X computers, iPhones, and iPads. Since the Filemaker solution has two components, an application component, an a runtime component. To sell in iTunes, is there a different process for submitting to the App Store or is it the same as any other app? How would the components above be handled?

• 1. Re: Runtime and iTunes App Store
          TSGal

rouelf:

Thank you for your post.

Currently, a runtime component for FileMaker Go does not exist.

Please enter this suggestion into our Feature Requests web form at:

http://www.filemaker.com/company/contact/feature_request.html

These suggestions are read by our Development and Product Management departments where the suggestions are then discussed and considered for a future release.  Although I could copy your post and paste it into the web form, there are some additional questions asked that only you can answer.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Runtime and iTunes App Store
            rouelf_1

TSGal,

Actually I was not asking about a runtime  for/of Filemaker Go. Currently, Filemaker Go can run a runtime Filemaker document (the file with a .usr extension).  I was asking about the process for submitting a Filemaker runtime solution to the iTunes App Store.

Thanks,

• 3. Re: Runtime and iTunes App Store
              TSGal

rouelf:

Thanks for the clarification.

You will need to contact Apple about submissions to their iTunes App Store.

TSGal
              FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Runtime and iTunes App Store
                rouelf_1

TSGal,

Thanks, for your responses. Going to Apple about submission to the iTunes App Store is a given. Was kind of hoping that Filemaker had a model for "how to submit" Filemaker Runtime Solutions to the iTunes App Store, that would be an improvement over the current what is a very cumbersome Apple iTune App Store submission process. Guess will have to jump in an get my brain mangled by that process. Of course one does not have to use the iTunes App Store.

One of the reasons for hoping for a model from Filemaker, was that the Filemaker Runtime Solutions (file with .usr extension) reside within Filemaker Go. Hence there is  technically no need for a runtime Filemaker solution icon on the iPhone / iPad screens, though it might be nice to have one that would link to the runtime solution within Filemaker Go.

I have assumed that Filemaker Runtime Solutions that will reside and run from within Filemaker Go could be sold via the Apple iTune App Store. Perhaps that is an incorrect assumption, no, yes?

• 5. Re: Runtime and iTunes App Store
                  krheinlander

I don't believe, due to the restrictions on App Store submissions, that an FM runtime for the iPad/iPhone is going to be able to be submitted successfully. 

I have been working on getting an FM Runtime into the Apple Mac App Store, and am getting close, however, this is not IOS, but OS X. There is another post here on the forum, where I am documenting the process steps. 

You might want to have a look at FMTouch, which allows the DDR file from FM Adv to be converted to an IOS application, as an alternative - although unless there is some volume to be sold, their financial licensing model may be prohibitive. 

• 6. Re: Runtime and iTunes App Store
                    rouelf_1
                    Kirk, thanks for your response. I looked at FMTopuch, yes, their licensing model in my opinion is prohibitive; furthermore, their FM implementation currently has severe unsupported functions for my complex solution. Have thought about submitting an FM runtime to the Apple Mac Store. Was trying to find out if Apple would even considered it, before paying the Apple Development fee. Your working on submitting of an FM runtime solution into the Apple Mac App Store sounds very promising and encouraging for me to also try to submit my FM runtime. I will look up your posts.
                    • 7. Re: Runtime and iTunes App Store
                      KarlEklund

Have there been any updates to this process...

I have a good working FM Go solkution and would think it very marketable on the App Store.  How can I get this converted as a standalone App ?

• 8. Re: Runtime and iTunes App Store
                        codecruncher

In two years I can only recall one FileMaker runtime that was successfully added to the Mac App store (not the iOS App store). The developer succeeded by omitting old legacy code from a FileMaker 11 runtime to comply with Apple's app requirements. This not only broke the license agreement with FileMaker but also made the runtime very unstable. 

To my knowledge this legacy code has been omitted in FileMaker 12 which would theoretically make the submission to the Mac App store easier. Unfortunately Apple now requires apps to be sandboxed to be included in the Mac App store. 

Furthermore adding a simple FileMaker file to the iOS App store is not allowed under Apple's current app requirements. It breaks one of Apple's golden rule that an app (your FileMaker file) may not launch a second app (the FileMaker Go app) to run. 

Your only option is to use FileMaker's own 'FileMaker Go App Maker' which allows you to launch a FileMaker file from the iOS home screen with a custom launch icon.