8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 28, 2010 10:09 AM by TSGal

Save as pdf - Send email

jungovox

Title

Save as pdf - Send email

What is the (set field) 'path' ON the ipad for saving a pdf ?

I need it so I can pick up the saved pdf in the email send script - ...

"filewin:" & Get(DocumentsPath)&"/testorder.pdf"

fileGO ?

• 1. Re: Save as pdf - Send email
          jungovox

ok... I did figure some of it out.

Get(DocumentsPath)&"/testorder.pdf"

but the PDF email attachment cries about not having the fonts (I am only using Arial - and bolding a few words) AND it also attaches a file to the email called

att00001.c

• 2. Re: Save as pdf - Send email
            TSGal

jungo:

Thank you for your posts.

There is no need to use "filewin:" in your first post, nor the slash in your second post.  Your script should look similarly to:

Save Records as PDF [ No dialog ; "testorder.pdf" ; Records being browsed ]
            Set Variable [ $PDFPath ; Value: Get (DocumentsPath) & "testorder.pdf" ]
            Send Mail [ Send via E-mail Client ; To: "user@abc.com" ; Subject: "Test Order" ; Message: "See enclosed file" ; "$PDFPath" ]

If you continue to run into difficulty with the Arial font, try a different font.  This will help narrow it down to an iOS issue or a font issue.

TSGal
            FileMaker, Inc.

• 3. Re: Save as pdf - Send email
              jungovox

Good info -- ... a couple more q's

1. The font issue got worse when I changed the layout from all ariel to Tacoma (it was readable on the ipad but NOT in the attached PDF)   - ... I switch it all back to JUST arial I continue to see the warning when I open the pdf in acrobat 8.0 - "Cannot extract ehe embedded font 'LMRHIU+Arial-BoldMT'. Some Characters may not display or print correctly"

2. Wren I rerun the same script - save as pdf - ... the file does not overwrite the previous pdf file (files on device) on the ipad with the same name - it's appends a ' 1' etc... is there any way to simply replace the previous file.

• 4. Re: Save as pdf - Send email
                TSGal

jungo:

I'm not sure where the problem lies with the font issue.  I have created some layouts by using Arial and setting the style to Bold, and also using the font Arial Bold.  Other than having to size the field height, I am able to save to PDF without any error message.

The iOS does not allow overwriting of files, so if you try to save a file with the same name, it will not overwrite the original file and create another file appending "1" (or "2" or "3" for however many times you try to write a new file).

TSGal
                FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: Save as pdf - Send email
                  jungovox

thanks - I appreciate your help ....

I get the errors only when I open the pdf on a mac or win7 machine via the email send script - NOT when they are created on the ipad - ... I can send you the file or the pdf if you'd like - ...

sorry to here that the OS doesn't allow for over-writing - OUCH .

• 6. Re: Save as pdf - Send email
                    TSGal

jungo:

Thanks for the additional information.  I am now able to see the problem when opening the PDF file on a Mac or Windows machine.

After researching this further, I discovered our Development and Software Quality Assurance (Testing) are aware of this issue.  Also, checking the Apple forum, I see it has also been reported with iWork apps on the iPad.  See:

http://discussions.info.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2467154&tstart=60

There is no additional information available at this time.

TSGal
                    FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: Save as pdf - Send email
                      jungovox

Thanks TSGal

• 8. Re: Save as pdf - Send email
                        TSGal

jungo:

One of our technicians also pointed me to Knowledge Base Article #7780 at:

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/7780

I apologize for not being aware of this article and symptom.

TSGal
                        FileMaker, Inc.