6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 17, 2013 12:26 PM by philmodjunk

Saving Login Info

cmccutcheon2

Title

Saving Login Info

I am making a database to store case records for the executives at my company. They need to be able to just click on the FM go app and see the data. At present they must login every time to view info. I need to database to be able to save the login info so they never have to sign in again. I have looked and cannot find a solution to this problem. I tried using fmreauthenticate keyword but it still asks for the login anyways.  Also something that was mentioned was using the persistent ID to let the phone login.  I don't know if that would work or how really.

Any help would be much appreciated 

Thanks

• 1. Re: Saving Login Info
          schamblee

fmreauthenticate10 will keep you from having to relogin after hibernation for 10 minutes.  This time can be changed to any number upto 10080 minutes.  Using this method they will  have to login each they open the app after closing the app.  If the app is in hibernation (pushing the home button or answering the phone) and they go back in then the user will only have to login if the time limit has expired.

http://www.filemaker.com/12help/html/passwords.14.24.html

• 2. Re: Saving Login Info
            cmccutcheon2

But is there no way to actually remember to login info for the user?  Because the fmreauthenticate doesnt really work that well.  It still makes me login sometimes, even when I know it is within the given time limits.   Something that lets me login automatically was setting the login automatically function to login as the guest each time, but if I was this to be on a public server its not very secure.

• 3. Re: Saving Login Info
              Markus Schneider

not sure if I get it correct - but if there is no need to enter individual account/pwd-data, You could add a default user for logins (FileMaker Pro, file options, user...)

• 4. Re: Saving Login Info
                schamblee

That is true that security can be bypassed with auto-login.  If someone gains access to your ipad / iphone, they would also have access to your databases.

• 5. Re: Saving Login Info
                  cmccutcheon2

Thats what I did for now.  But once I put the database on a public server I might have some security concerns about people logging in automatically.  So far I am assuming that there is no real way for FM to save user login info.  It would be really nice if they added this feature. 

• 6. Re: Saving Login Info
                    philmodjunk

When this question was first asked elsewhere in the forum, I speculated that you could use Get ( PersistentID ) to "register" an iOS device to a specfiic account name and password and thus have the file open up without a request for account name and password when opened on the iOS device after that initial instance where you open the file and the script saves the persistent ID.

A demo file I've created indicates that this can be made to work. If you put this file on an iOS device, you can open it and enter GeorgeSmith as both the account name and password. If you then close and re-open the file, it will open the file automatically with the GeorgeSmith account name and password automatically.

Notes:

I've kept the admin account as admin with no password so you can easily open the file with full access to examine the script, file options and security settings.

Much of this file has been kept far simpler and less secure than I would use with an actual working database. I wouldn't set up a record in security with a full access account, I would in fact, give only the bare minimum level of access that the users need as this entire set up is a security risk. I'd also use a custom function to save the account name and password in a scrambled format to force someone trying to hack into the file to work a bit harder to gain access to the data in the security table.

I'd also use a more sophisticated script that doesn't close/quit so cavalierly when a user fails to correctly enter an account name and password.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/78737945/FMGOAutoLogInDemo.fmp12