9 Replies Latest reply on Apr 20, 2011 11:42 AM by ChrisGilfillen

Screen Redraw?

ChrisGilfillen

Title

Screen Redraw?

Hello,

I am contemplating developing a solution using FM Go and in doing my research I ran across some videos on Youtube showing some examples. I was surprised to see so much screen redrawing as well as how slowly images in containers appeared (this was on a local iPad file). Is this typical behavior when running FM Go?

Thanks,

Chris

• 1. Re: Screen Redraw?
          TSGal

Chris Gilfillen:

Thank you for your post.

Without seeing the video, I can't comment whether it is "typical behavior".  With that said, the processing speed on the iPad is slower than a desktop computer.  Other factors include accessing the file form a host via Wi-Fi or 3G rather than having the file downloaded to the iPad, as well as the size and type of file in the Container field.

If you provide the link, I'll take a look and comment.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Screen Redraw?
            ChrisGilfillen

Thanks for the reply, here is a link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkZvLyJhGX4

Chris

• 3. Re: Screen Redraw?
              TSGal

Chris Gilfillen:

Thanks for the link.  Obviously, the link to the browser is much slower as it has to access information from a web site, but the FileMaker Go drawing of objects on the Layout is very typical.

TSGal
              FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Screen Redraw?
                JonathonHurley

Hi Chris,

I've recently downloaded FM Go to try on my iPad with a view to whether or not FileMaker is worth purchasing for my needs.  I tried a very simple, one table / few fields database, and I have to say even with this light load, there is an awful lot of obvious screen redrawing and layouts take a second or two to completely draw.  This is a bizzarre experience given how fast other apps run on the iPad - including full screen games! It's not even an issue with Bento.  Presumably it's the way that the layouts are parsed and drawn, but to be honest it's a big turn-off for me.

Regards

Jonathon

• 5. Re: Screen Redraw?
                  TSGal

Jonathon Hurley:

Thank you for your post.

I encourage you to also post your comments to our Feature Requests web form at:

http://www.filemaker.com/company/contact/feature_request.html

These feature requests are read by our Development and Product Management departments where they are discussed and considered for future releases.  Although I could copy your post and paste it into the web form, there are some additional questions asked that only you can answer.

TSGal
                  FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: Screen Redraw?
                    RudyP

Chris. I hear you about the screen redraw. It is terrible. Here is what I sent the feature request team:

".Hello. I was tasked at work to create an iPad app for our sales force out in the field. Basically, a product catalog. After a lot of research, I decided to go with Filemaker Go rather than writing a custom app. Everything has been great except for the HORRIBLE screen redrawing. I even dumbed the images down to less than 40K and the screen STILL slowly redraws in boxy chunks. 56K dial-up is faster. What is going on? I was planning on pulling the trigger on 20 iPads with 20 copies of FMGo but seriously? This redraw is a HUGE turnoff for the Sales guys and it is about to become a deal-breaker. Any plans to rectify this? Is there anything different that I can do?"

BTW, I watched the video and yes, that is exactly what is happening. It worries me that the FMP team released it that way. Obviously, they were not able to find a fix.

Cheers.

• 7. Re: Screen Redraw?
                      ChrisGilfillen

Ok, can anyone confirm whether the screen redraw is any better in the new update? Would be greatly appreciated.

Chris

• 8. Re: Screen Redraw?
                        MatthewMackay

Still the same in the update I'm afraid. It is quite a major issue with FM Go even on the iPad 2.

• 9. Re: Screen Redraw?
                          ChrisGilfillen

Thanks for confirming my fears Matthew.....quite disappointing.

Unfortunately, I will continue to hold off developing anything with this 'solution'.

Chris