6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 14, 2011 8:02 PM by ThirdBrain

Scrolling in browse mode and calculation fields - slow in GO

ThirdBrain

Title

Scrolling in browse mode and calculation fields - slow in GO

I have an app that I wrote years ago and have just rewritten it from scratch again.  It works perfect except for this screen in FMGO.  It is essentially a catalog view of items.  Each row represents a "style" with each color available shown in the row and would be called an "item".  The app is very visually based so cutting back or removing the images is NOT an option.  Each image is a portal of those avaialbe based on the style#-color#, or item#.

My issue to two-fold.  When scrolling up and down the rows, I understand GO is blocky and nothing can be done about that, but when I tap on a picture to select it, if it's at the top of the list great and works perfect, but if its farther down the list, once selected the screen freshes from the top of the list down.  I have tried the Freeze window script to lock it in place while it's copying the item# from the current screen or catalog view, opening the order screen, creating a new record and pasting the item # there, then coming back to this screen.  In Pro it works in nano seconds, in GO not so much.  I get the blocking screen issue, but the scrolling screen part I don't understand.  I am often clicking on an item that is not the current record, but once tapped on, I don't want it to move.  Clicking the image again deselects the item.  It already is the current record at that point, but it does the scrolling thing in the refresh stage.  It looks bad and is really slow. With the gaming graphics capabilities I can't figure out why "simple" things are such a problem.  I certainly did not expect this...

The second part is once I have selected an item it places a checkmark next to it based on a calculation.  It takes 2-3 seconds for the check mark to show up.  Any suggestions to improving the speed?  Again, awesome and fast in Pro, slow in GO.

screenshot.png

• 1. Re: Scrolling in browse mode and calculation fields - slow in GO
          ThirdBrain

Removed the portals so the images are just from the relationship, without portals now.  No change.  Maybe a little faster on the scrolling and displaying.

Still getting the movement when an item is selected or deselected.  Freeze window and refresh have no affect.

• 2. Re: Scrolling in browse mode and calculation fields - slow in GO
            TSGal

Gary Avischious:

Thank you for your post.

First, we are aware of the slow speed at which graphcis are displayed in FileMaker Go.  Also keep in mind that the processing speed is much faster on a Mac than it is on an iPad or iPhone.  Also, Mac OS X is faster than iOS.

From your screen shot, the check marks are also a graphic object.  How are these being referenced?  One way to speed this up is to have a repeating field with the checkmark displayed in the second repetition (the first being blank).  Then, you could have a calculation field, resulting in a Container field, that references the first repetition or second repetition depending on a field that would activate the check mark.

You also mention "copying the item #.... and pasting the item #...".  Have you tried using Set Variable instead?  Then, use Set Field to the Variable.

Please let me know if you need additional clarification.

I know some time has passed since you first reported this, so if you have found a way to speed up the display, please post here so others can benefit.

TSGal
            FileMaker, Inc.

• 3. Re: Scrolling in browse mode and calculation fields - slow in GO
              ThirdBrain

The ckeck marks are just resulitng text from a simple IF calculation.  No graphic.  I have not used Set Variable or Set Field scripts before.  Is there a place I could learn about their usage?  

I am not trying to compare an iPad to a Mac, but game technology seems to be much more intensive graphically than scrolling down a page with a few items in it.

When the user clicks on an item, the script copies the item#, switches layouts, creates a new record in the order file, pastes the item# there, then goes back to the original layout.  The calculation field sees the match of the item#'s and displays the checkmark.  The checkmark displaying is the slow part.  I could add script steps to enter it "manually" instead of using the calculation, but if the user makes changes by adding or deleting items in the next step and goes back, the calculation field display seemed to be the mroe logical choice.

I could email you the file if that would help, if that's an option.

• 4. Re: Scrolling in browse mode and calculation fields - slow in GO
                TSGal

Gary Avischious:

Thank you for the additional information.

The Help file can give you more infomation about Set Variable and Set Field script steps.

Regardless, I will be happy to look at your database file.  Please check your Inbox at the top of this page for instructions where to send the file.

TSGal
                FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: Scrolling in browse mode and calculation fields - slow in GO

Dear Volkswagen,

I have a Beetle and I do not understand why I cannot get it to pull the semi-trailer trailer like my 600 horse power truck... 

Filemaker's demos showing how Go will run your Filemaker Pro file are a bit misleading since those demos are simple constructs meant to look nice but not be burdened with complexity...such as you are adding to your file.

I use my iTouch (phoneless iPhone) as my monitor when designing layouts for Go. It's fast and speedy until I begin creating complex ideas and when I do I can see the performance bottle necks instantly. I know what I did when the performance dropped. I then decide if I want to do that or can I improve the speed. If I am designing for remote access, that is how I create my design using a file hosted on a remote server.

Opening the remote file with my Touch and with my laptop, I can design a file and layouts for the iPhone and checking the designs and scripts as I go, not after I have created a massively complex idea on my desktop and then move it to a remote site and use my iPhone to discover things that don't work well.

• 6. Re: Scrolling in browse mode and calculation fields - slow in GO
                    ThirdBrain

Hear ya Jack, or should I just call you Buzz Lightyear.  Get it.  I first came up with this app in 1994 using FileMaker.  First versions were designed to fit on two floppies.  Yeah, I'm that old.  But somehow manage to push the envelope enough to make stuff work really well for end users.  I keep improving it and haivng it on an iPad is the perfect device that matches the use.  So I know what FileMaker can do and still want it to do more on a mobile device.  I may not understand tech issues and databases like your tone communicates.  I know how to listen to market needs and attempt to design solutions that meet and exceed the expectations of the users.

Just like I have been disappointed until yesterday in Keynote for iPad with its limited features.  Yesterday's Keynote update was awesome.  With FileMaker being an Apple company it has such a HUGE opportunity if they devoted more resources to GO it could have the same end-around affect that concentrating on music, phones, etc...did for Apple computer sales.  Just saying...

I've been hearing IT guys say for 15+ years "when are you going to use a real database?  You can't do that in FileMaker" and somehow I have.  Now I just want to do it in GO.