8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 28, 2013 3:26 PM by TSGal

Security Question

WillRetherford

Title

Security Question

How do I keep users that will access database from iPad from going to a layout that I want to keep private? Can someone walk me through the steps on the security set up?

• 1. Re: Security Question
          TSGal

Will Retherford:

Thank you for your post.

In FileMaker Pro, pull down the File menu and select Manage -> Security...

Set up a user account and password for those users who are going to be accessing the database file.  If you don't have one now, then create one, name it "iPad Test", assign a password, set the Account Status to Active, click the pop-up next to Privilege Set and change it from <unknown> to New Privilege Set.

In the Edit Privilege Set window, give it a Privilege Set Name, set the Data Access and Design for Records to the desired setting, and then in the pop-up next to Layouts, select "Customer privileges".  This will show all layouts in the file.  They may all default to no access, so click one of the layouts you want the iPad users to view, and at the bottom, click "view only", and then decide if you want users to modify the records in this layout, or just view, or not even have access.  In other words, for those layouts you don't want iPad Test users to see, make sure the layout is set to "no access".

Let me know if you need additional clarification.

TSGal
               FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Security Question
            WillRetherford

Thank you this helped a lot.

After I do this, how do I set this up for anyone who would log on from iPad? 

• 3. Re: Security Question
              TSGal

Will Retherford:

Give the username and password to the person logging in from the iPad.  Those access privileges will then be active for that user.  Try logging on from the iPad with that username and password, and you'll see your results.

TSGal
                   FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Security Question
                WillRetherford

I understand. The thing is that is does not ask for a login on the iPad, it connects you directly with full access. How do you set up the iPad for login?

• 5. Re: Security Question
                  TSGal

Will Retherford:

On the Mac, pull down the File menu and select File Options.  Under the Open tab, uncheck "Log in using" so FileMaker Pro/Go prompts you for the Account and password.  Then, when you launch FileMaker Go and access the file, you will be prompted for an Account and password.

TSGal
                       FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: Security Question
                    Jade

…or launch FileMaker Go on your iPad; close all open windows (if any); then tap and hold your filename on the list of files on device for a second or two.  This will prompt you for an Account and Password. 

• 7. Re: Security Question
                      WillRetherford

Perfect. This helps a lot.

One more question:

As I put the security restrcitions on a guest account, the layouts that I put as restricted still show up on the iPad even if I am logged in as the guest. It almost appears to be some form of glitch or something. Do you know what I could be doing wrong?

• 8. Re: Security Question
                        TSGal

Will Retherford:

Guest accounts have the ability to view all layouts but not make changes.  You need to set up a different account and specify the layouts you want users to see.  Once you set up the new account, click on the Layouts pop-up and select the option "Custom privileges...".  Then, select the layouts you want users to view, and set others to "no access".

TSGal
                             FileMaker, Inc.