3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 27, 2013 12:47 PM by TSGal

Serialized field within selected keys with optional over ride

ScottBleackley

Title

I have several indexed fields which must match. So this is a serial number within the context of matched indexe fields. I want to provide the next highest value index, not just from the previously viewed field, to ensure a unique set of indexes.

I also need to allow the value of this field to be over ridden with a user provided value but must also check that this provided value does not duplicate any existing value that have matched index fields.

Within the matched index values,  the serialzed field starts at one and need not be unique or contigous with all other values for this field in the table.

Any thoughts or suggestions as to the best approach to this issue are most welcome.

Thank you

• 1. Re: Serialized field within selected keys with optional over ride
          TSGal

Scott Bleakley:

Thank you for your post.

A Number field type allows several options.  After creating a Number field, click on Options, and under the "Auto-Enter" tab, you will see a "Serial number" option that creates a new serial number for each new record.

Next, click the Validation tab.  You will want to validate the data always, as well as allow the user to override the data entry.  Below that, under the Require section, enter a checkmark next to "Unique value".

In essence, this creates a new serial number in the field, but you can override the data and make a change.  However, it won't allow the change if the field value already exists in the table.

Let me know if you need additional clarification.

TSGal
               FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Serialized field within selected keys with optional over ride
            ScottBleackley

Thank you,  this approach creates a number which is unique in the table, however I need to create a serialize number which is unique within the context the values of three fields in the table.

For instance:  First Name: Jane  •   Last Name: Doe  •  Birth Date •  Feb 27 1964
                 Now I need to serialize within that context a field than can also have data entered that must be varified to be unique within this context.

So while the records associated with Jane Doe may be numbered 1 through 25
                 Records associated with John Smith may also be numbered 1 -15
                 So this serializtion is not unique in the table just within the specified context.

Any further suggestions are most welcome,

Thank you

• 3. Re: Serialized field within selected keys with optional over ride
              TSGal

Scott Bleackley:

Create a field for unique validation but include a Calculation formula requiring the First Name, Last Name and Birth Date fields.  Include a portal to look up existing records and the highest serial number for that grouping, and add one to it.  If no records exist for that grouping, then you'll automatically begin with 1.

TSGal
                   FileMaker, Inc.